• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I prevent gut stassis/bloat

Isabel

Warren Veteran
Is there anything obvious I should be doing to stop Barney and Roxy getting poorly? They've both had gut stassis/bloat a couple of times this year.

This is their setup
They both have run of my large living room 24/7 and their base is now an indoor cage with a wicker basket full of hay on top, they seem to love it. They have abundant hay and now limited pellets due to Barneys teeth, about two tablespoons each in the morning and the same in the evening and about half to one leaf of greens each morning and night. They have water in a bowl now as they seem to prefer it.

Does anyone think that a regular probiotic might help? or any other ideas? anything is welcome I just don't think they should be getting ill so often.

Is there anything obvious I should be doing to stop Barney and Roxy getting poorly? They've both had gut stassis/bloat a couple of times this year.

This is their setup
They both have run of my large living room 24/7 and their base is now an indoor cage with a wicker basket full of hay on top, they seem to love it. They have abundant hay and now limited pellets due to Barneys teeth, about two tablespoons each in the morning and the same in the evening and about half to one leaf of greens each morning and night. They have water in a bowl now as they seem to prefer it.

Does anyone think that a regular probiotic might help? or any other ideas? anything is welcome I just don't think they should be getting ill so often.

I would Panacur them (PLEASE DISCUSS WITH YOUR VET FIRST;) ). Recent thinking appears to be that EC can also effect the GI tract aswell as the CNS

A probiotic may be helpful. Also regular grooming of both Buns will help minimise the amount of fur they ingest. GI problems are usually secondary to another condition such as Dental problems. Are they both known to have Dental problems?

What pellets do you feed? Aswell as causing a 'mucky bum' I have heard that Excel (plus the P@H own brand pellets) can cause bloat in some Rabbits.

Janex :)

Thanks Jane,
I did notice that Sarahbarnsley's repeated GI problem bunny has suspected EC. cripes :shock:

Only Barney has confirmed teeth problems. they were both checked two weeks ago for their teeth.

They are both on SS pellets.

I think I will ask the vet about EC and getting them on panacur as it seems so wrong that they both keep getting ill. Is this a very new idea?

So much to think about!

I don't really have a clue about this, but just thought I'd say that if you decide to ask for Panacur, you might want to request a full course (28 days I believe) as Gamstons only gave me a 9 day course for Audrey.

The idea that EC can cause GI stasis is new in vet circles, but mine were diagnosed with it several months ago now (and it was my vet who came up with the idea rather than me, based on experience with other rabbits). Their only symptom is persistent GI stasis. Fionabun has similar problems with her bunnies. Definitely something to investigate. :)

Edit: I'd also suggest that if they are diagnosed with it, Panacur should be given for 6 weeks, not 4.

Oh my goodness poor things. I just read about it it sounds terrible!
Thanks for the tip Mandy. Do you think they are likely to think its a good idea Mandy? I'm seeing Rachel I think.

I asked for it for Audrey and Rachel was happy to give it, no problem. I think it's one of those things that won't do any harm? But she only gave 9 days and I didn't know any better then.

Maybe you could copy and paste parts of this thread to show her? Or ask Jane or Sarah to write you something maybe?

Could you not request a blood test for it? Then you'll at least know whether it's an active case of EC. You wouldn't really want to be treating with for 6 weeks on a non-active case.

hmmmmm I think Ill see what Rachel says and request a blood test. Why are so many vets happy with the dianoses of "rabbits are prone to these problms" or "she probably got stressed" why don't they want to find out what is wrong and cure it?

Oh yes, I know exactly what you mean! That's why I changed vets! I turned up to my new vets really stressed and said 'this must be something infectious because they get it one after the other!!!' Had already tried that with the previous vets and got no-where. :roll:

I think my vets are good. But the emergency one never seems to answer anything but then I suppose they are there to 'put a plaster' on the problem.

Just looking at their diet and hoping it's not e-c, do you mean tablespoons of pellets or desertspoons? Heaped or level? That does sound like a lot of pellets to me, as I'm thinking rounded tablespoons - mine (average adult bunnies) get around 40 ss pellets (the newer big ones) morning and slightly less at night - about 25.

The other point I'd make about their diet is my indoor bunnies wouldn't eat as much hay unless they were shut in their crate for an hour when I put a fresh bundle in, which I did twice a day morning and evening. They seem to forget it's there, and conversely will eat it just to avoid being bored when shut in.

This may sound abit bizzare but its measuring jug tablespoon so I don't know weather its heaped or not. I have just counted and its about 20-25 depending on the size of the pellet (some are broken).
As for hay, since I changed hay to one called pure pastures they seem to eat it non stop. They are constantly munching away at it and get through a huge amount perday. I would guess about their body size which is what it recommended I think.
It may be somthing in their diet but I'm not sure what else I could change about it. I cut down massively on their pellets after the first time Barney got ill.

I'm wondering weather it could be veg. I haven't been able to get hold of spring greens again for some reason so they have had some kale.

This may sound abit bizzare but its measuring jug tablespoon so I don't know weather its heaped or not. I have just counted and its about 20-25 depending on the size of the pellet (some are broken).
As for hay, since I changed hay to one called pure pastures they seem to eat it non stop. They are constantly munching away at it and get through a huge amount perday. I would guess about their body size which is what it recommended I think.
It may be somthing in their diet but I'm not sure what else I could change about it. I cut down massively on their pellets after the first time Barney got ill.

I'm wondering weather it could be veg. I haven't been able to get hold of spring greens again for some reason so they have had some kale.

Where's that hay from please?

Its from Hay experts. Its one of the cheaper ones and they can't get enough.

I was getting it from Kennel gate but twice I went and it had mites!

p.s I am going to see if I can get some from work if you are interested. Don't know how much it will be but Its all from conservation meadows.

Well it all comes from a field doesn't it?! I had a delivery crisis the other week and had to get them hay from wilkos and they adored it! :? They aren't really bothered about timothy...good rabbits :D

Back