• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bad foot, need vets?

Julia123

Warren Veteran
hi

I've just noticed my boy's foot has been bleeding, had a closer look and it looks like a small fleshy bit near his claws - could he have lost a claw? its not bleeding heavily and he's walking ok on it. I would normally hotfoot it to the vets, trying to be less neurotic, anyone any advice or shall i book the vet for tomorrow?

thanks

As long as the bleeding has now stopped just bathe the foot in cooled boiled water. You could put a pinch of salt in the water but that will really sting if the nerve is exposed.
He has probably pulled a nail off but do check his foot carefully for any cuts etc. Also make sure his nails are not all too long, very long toenails tend to get caught up and pulled off.
If it is a lost nail it should regrow but I'd check his foot every day to make sure there are no signs of infection

Janex :)

bad foot

hi Jane

thanks for that, his nails were clipped in june and seem ok. I've just had a remmage and found some hibiscrub - i can't remember the mix of scrub to water, do you happen to know? the bleeding has stopped so i'll bathe it and keep an eye like you say... he's off sulking under the bed!

Julia

hi Jane

thanks for that, his nails were clipped in june and seem ok. I've just had a remmage and found some hibiscrub - i can't remember the mix of scrub to water, do you happen to know? the bleeding has stopped so i'll bathe it and keep an eye like you say... he's off sulking under the bed!

Julia

If the Hibiscrub is still 'in date' you can use a 50/50 mix with cooled boiled water.

Janex :)

bad foot

ah good point - didn't know it could go off, its dated feb 06 and no use by date. will stick with the water and get some more tomorow. Thanks for your help:)

Back