• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ROXY in hospital*Update 2, she's home*

Isabel

Warren Veteran
I took Roxy to the emergency vets first thing and the better than normal vets has admitted her. She has been diagnosed with bloat.

The vet thinks it could possibly be stress related as there was lots of fireworks quite close to us lat night...this has never bothered her before. The gutting thing is is that its Roxy's gotcha day today. One year ago today we got her.

I called a few hours ago and the vets said she seemed quite perky in herself (typical Roxy I'm delighted to say). I'm just about to call again soon. I hope she has improved as the vet said they may need to stick a tube into her belly :shock: :? lots of vibes please. Barney is ofc ourse with her and was looking after her so well.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Just got off the phone from the vets and there is little improvement. She has had a tube in her stomache. I think they did it to get some of the fluid out of her stomach to reduce its size. Doesn't sound nice.

I'm going to collect her at 9pm and then will syringe feed her and take her to the vets tommorrow. Poor thing I just want to give her a cuddle. The nurse said she is still bright in herself and enjoying Barney's company.
I'm hoping she will improve abit once she is home and away from the stress of the vets.

Hopefully Roxy will feel a lot more comfortable now all the nasty gas is out of her stomach.

Sounds like she was in the care of a good Vet. Well done for getting Roxy to him/her so promptly :)

Janex

I couldn't fault the vets today. Apart from she didn't have a magic wand to make Roxy magically better. She really seemed to know her stuff about buns and didn't get a book out like the last one :?

I can't wait to get them both back it seems so odd without them here.
its so touching that Roxy is still so perky in herself. Even this morning when she was obviousely very ill and so cold, when she saw me and I cuddled her I new she would have smiled if she could.

I couldn't fault the vets today. Apart from she didn't have a magic wand to make Roxy magically better. She really seemed to know her stuff about buns and didn't get a book out like the last one :?

I can't wait to get them both back it seems so odd without them here.
its so touching that Roxy is still so perky in herself. Even this morning when she was obviousely very ill and so cold, when she saw me and I cuddled her I new she would have smiled if she could.

Awww bless her. She knew she could rely on you to help her :D

Janex

Poor Roxy.....how terribly unfair for her to be ill on her special Gotcha Day.:cry: :cry: I am very happy to hear that you seem to have such a rabbit savvy vet, and that she is improving. If I ever took one of my buns to a vet and they got a book out to try and make a diagnosis, you wouldn't see me for dust!!!:shock: :shock: This one you have now sounds GREAT!!!:D :D Sending LOADS of healing Get Well vibes to Roxy on her Gotcha Day!!!!! XXX

If I ever took one of my buns to a vet and they got a book out to try and make a diagnosis, you wouldn't see me for dust!!!:shock: :shock:

It was just to check a dosage i think. TBH the normal vets I go to are brilliant. Its just that my buns don't seem to get ill during normal vet hours and much prefer to be ill at the weekend. I was really pleased with this one though :D

I've just picked her up and she seems to have much more colour in her cheeks. Barney is really annoyed with me :rolleyes: and has gone off for a grump behind the sofa. I really think now they are both home she will improve but can't wait to get to my usual vets tommorrow. Got to syringe feed her till then so fingers crossed with that one. I'm hoping she'll lap of her own accord.

Ahh......that wouldn't be so bad!!!:lol: :lol:

I am SO happy to hear that the buns are back home with you again!:D Good luck with the feeding......fingers crossed she will be cooperative! Hope your usual vet tomorrow had some REALLY good news for you!!!!!:D :D :D

She has eaten some coriander and some kale ...and some more kale...and more and has watered herself.

Barney however is not eating :evil:

Back