• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying after care and introducing to a new bunny

becca114

Young Bun
On Wednesday my bunny will be spayed. I am not sure what to expect her to be like when I pick her up from the vets after. Will she be sore and sleepy? Is there anything I should do when I bring her home?

Also, a few weeks after her op, I am taking her to the local rspca to meet a new bunny who will hopefully come and live with us. When we put them together for the first time at the centre what signs should I look out for that they will be potentially good friends?

Also I want to house the new bunny in a cage next to my bunny's for a little while to help the bonding so that they can see and smell one another. I dont have a spare cage or anything like that, the only thing i have is a pet carrier but it obviosly wont be suitable for the new bunny to live in. Has anyone got any ideas for a temporary house for the new bunny?

Thanks

Both my girls were a bit sleepy after their spays. I kept them inside for a few days and didnt put any litter or anything that might irritate the wounds in their space, they slept on vetbed and I gave them hay cakes for a few days instead of loose hay because I didnt want them to lay in it :D You will need to keep an eye on her for a few days and make sure she is eating and going to the toilet ok :D Mine were back to normal in a couple of days.

Aw she will love a bunny friend :D Humping, fur pulling and chasing are normal and they are just sorting out who is going to be boss. When you introduce them at home it will need to be on neutral territory, so nowhere your girly has already been. Are your buns house rabbits? Maybe you could get a dog crate and attach a pen around it :D

Thanks for the reply.
I have sorted out where the new bunny with live temporarily: In a dog crate next to my rabbits hutch and run so they can see each other. Everyday I am going to put them in the bath room together(neutral territory) for a while. Where do I go from there with the bonding process? How will I know when it is time to move on?

Hi Becca. Welcome to the forum:wave: . Your bunster will probably be a bit dozy when you collect her. It is important that she eats and poos within a few hours of returning home, but be aware that she won't be wolfing her food down like she normally does! She'll probably just nibble bits and pieces initially. She won't be moving around very much either. Clear her hutch/cage of all litter and just use old towels or vetbed(if finances allow!!). Vetbed in her litter tray or toilet area is a good idea as it works like disposable nappies in that it wicks all moisture away from the bun. You can put hay in a hayrac or ball so that not too much goes on the floor and keeps it away from her wound. It's also a good idea to give her a bowl of water rather than a bottle as some rabbits find that easier post-operative. Mine did and I now use only bowls for all of them. Check with your vet that he gives a long-lasting jab and gut stimulant before she comes home.
Bonding: When you are ready to do the bonding try to do it when you have a couple of days free. The fact that will have been side-by-side for a week or two will help. but when you put them together don't seperate them at all unless there is really bad fighting, otherwise you'll be taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back each time. You say you are going to use the bath..is there anyway they could have the bathroom floor and use that room for the bonding?

Last edited:
Back