• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pasteurella - infectious? Please Help.

sharleen

New Kit
Hi everyone. Thanks again for the earlier advice regarding Jack and his abscess. We have since had a second abscess removed and he is on multiple antibiotics in the hopes that it gets rid of the abscess for good.

Once Jack is healed my plan is to put Jack out with Muffin (spayed doe). For now I will divide the shed and run area so they each have their own space to get used to each other.

Is it safe for me to put him with her? Will she run the risk of being infected by the pasteurella even if his abscess is healed?

From what I have read, the bacteria is the underlying cause of the abscess in the first place...so will his being on antibiotics be enough to get rid of it?

Please...from your experience can you tell me if you would recommend they be put in the same area?

Thanks!
Sharleen

Last edited:
I understand this may be a difficult question...but please for anyone who has multiple rabbits....have you had one with an abscess? Did you put him/her back with the other(s)?

Is this a concern? I need to know so I can figure out what the long term living arrangements for Jack and Muffin will be.

Hi Sharleen

From my past experience with Pasteurella, if your buns are still in close proximity of each other, then your doe will have already been infected with the virus - this happened to me, however, 2 of my buns have never contracted Pasteurella from them, so some buns maybe able to withstand the virus.

Wishing your boy a speedy recovery! :wave:

Carol x

They have actually been housed seperate from each other thus far, so have not been in contact. (Muffin outside, Jack Inside house)

However, from what you have both said I guess I have the answer to my question. It is potentially contagious, at least while infected...

Once Jack has finished a course of antibiotics, do you think he will still be contagious?

Hi Sharleen,

Despite my buns being on antibiotics, their pasteurella returns periodically, somebody might put me right here, but I'm sure that if your buns have had it once, then it's most likely to return. However, one of my buns who has suffered with Pasteurella throughout his life, lives with another one of my buns, who has never showed any symptoms - some catch it, and some don't.

Hope this helps.

Carol x

Back