• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how do you fasten your hutches?

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I'm not quite sure if this is in the right forum, sorry:?

Anyway, how do you fasten your hutches and runs? I build my own and I usually use case clasps sideways on but I always worry that if an unusually cunning fox happened along, he might be able to undo them. Does anyone have any guaranteed foxproof ideas? thankyou!

I think my hutches are closed with sliding bolt type things... I remember when I found these hutches I was thrilled with how they closed.

Hasp and staples, all with padlocks on.

Their run is screwed down on concrete, and bolted with padlocks.

And the shed is alarmed at night. :oops:

I am a safety nut as you can tell :lol:

My playhouse is bolted and padlocked. My run is joined to it with hooks and eyes but the opening bits of the runs have hasps and staples.

Bolts. The twisty things are too easy too open. A cat/fox scratching would have no trouble and sometimes they can just get loose anyway.

Tam

We have bolts as well as hasps that are padlocked - this is to help both fox and people proof!
The welded mesh on the front of the hutch is pretty strong, but we fixed another sheet of welded mesh over the run to try and make it more secure from foxes.

Hmm I always imagined that a fox would be able to undo a bolt quite easily - maybe I'm overestimating them though. I guess padlocks are failsafe especially for human thieves. thanks all

I use sliding locks and also luggage locks with a number combination not a key, that way the keys cant get lost and all the locks can have the same number for others to know if I need someone else to feen the buns.... plus keeps thieves and foxes out!

Just the standard **** plastic thingies but we're on the top floor so no foxes/cats/dogs can get in unless they grow wings. People can't get in either unless they manage to get through the security barrier, through the main door and into our apartment.:lol:

Back