• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Overdose of Panacur!!

Squiffy

Young Bun
Hi all

Just started a new tube of Panacur and stupidly forgot to wind down the dosing measure and one of my buns just got nearly a full tube!!! Nightmare! :shock:

I've spoken to the vets (who hadn't had a case of this) who have contaced the poisons department. They have only heard of 3 overdose incidents before, only one of which they had recieved follow up on. That rabbit was OK, though i don't know the overdose amount.

It was mentioned Panacur is quite a safe drug, so much so that it's OK to give to pregnant animals, but i'm still panicking as a lot went in.

Has anyone here experienced a similar problem or know anything more about Panacur? Unfortunately because it's Saturday, the Panacur people aren't contactable so i just have to keep an eye on the bun over the next 2 days.

I feel really crappy about what i've done, despite it being an accident :(

Squiffy xx

I don't have any advice I'm afraid :( Just thought I would say that I hope your bunny is ok and bump this thread up, so someone else might reply :)

i don't have any advice other than it all looks like your rabbit will be ok with all your vet mentioned. Sending lots of vibes to you. Hope it all works out ok.

Bumping this up again. I have only even given a whole graduation instead of a half so I really don't know.

How many graduations did you give the bun? I dont think a quarter of a tube would fit in a buns mouth never mind a whole tube. Hope your bunny is ok.

Hi again

OK so it's now 2 days since the slip up and my bunny seems absolutely fine - obviously this is FANTASITC news for me (and her) but also i think this is really useful info for all you guys to know just in case. Despite the fact that I'm an experienced rabbit keeper, this was very much an accidental overdose and potentially it could happen to anyone.

For reference, the bunny recieved over half a tube (11 or 12 graduations) in one hit and yes, it did all go in :shock: Another concern therefore was that it could have gone into her lungs, but thankfully there have been no signs of problems in that department. She's also a big-ish bunny at 2.5kg, I guess her size may help the medicine disperse moreso than if it had have been my dwarf who barely weighs over a kilo??

So all in all, I agree that Panacur is a safe drug and will be informing the vets that the bunny is well.

Thanks for your concern and i hope this post can help someone in the future.

Love Squiffy xx

Back