• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

moths

cheekytikki

Wise Old Thumper
not sure if this is the right section but if its not please move it :D

i noticed last night that there were a lot of moths in the bunny room, and they all seemed very busy *ahem* making baby moths! :shock: :no: i havent noticed any in there normally (maybe the odd 1 or 2) but there were at least 12 in there last night!!!!
what is the best way to get rid of them? i have neeting over the widows so it is pretty much impossible to get in that way so i assume a couple flew in when the door was open and errr 'got to it!' :oops: :oops:

i saw the sticky fly papers which hang from the ceiling the other day, would these work or should i try and get a zappy light thing (dont know what they are called :oops: )

thanks :D ....p.s. am i right in thinking they can't actually harm the bunnies :?

I keep 3 of my bunnies in a shed and I always use fly paper. It works great. Just make sure bunnies can't reach it or they will be a sticky mess. :(

moths are harmless so I just leave them be although my son shrieks 'kill it kill it!' every time one flies past him :roll: I think they're quite cute - especially the big ones that hide behind the rabbit hutches - they sit on my finger like little birds :)

moths are harmless so I just leave them be although my son shrieks 'kill it kill it!' every time one flies past him :roll: I think they're quite cute - especially the big ones that hide behind the rabbit hutches - they sit on my finger like little birds :)

Elve, that actually made my hair stand on end, I'm terrified of moths, particulary those big bird-like ones!!! Nothing else fills me with terror, but moths...I'm actually considering seeing a hypnotherapist cos my phobia is getting out of hand now..... inagine my horror to discover a large Hawk Moth snuggled on my bale of hay in the shed....:shock: :shock: :shock:

:? :? yeah they do look quite like that! :?

the A&P is in a storage box along with treats the only other loose stuff is the hay (which is vacuum packed) and the forage (which is almost run out now.

will try and get pics of the little b*ggers when the batteries have recharged.

if it is them do i need to chuck out all the food etc i have got? :?

ETS: just looked at some pics of the above moths but they seem to have a white wtripe across them, cant remember if the ones in the RR did :? really must get a closer look

p.s. i really dont like moths!

Last edited:
I don't think they always look quite like the ones in the pic but the same body shape and they're only about 1cm long, quite dull grey/beige colour.
Have you bought any treats from petshops? They're really attracted to sweet flavoured stuff, I remember checking products for them at a petshop I used to work at and the honey flavoured sticks were full up with them!
They lay eggs which hatch into little larvae which look kind of maggot-ish, then form a weblike coccoon and hatch into those moths
You won't have to bin the food but it'd help to freeze it all as this'll kill any moths/larvae that either came in it or infested it afterwards, then keep as much of your food/treats in sealed tubs as you can.
If it is them and you can find the source, it's worth going back to the petshop it came from to see if they were aware and see if they can give you some pheromone traps - if they have a problem with them (all of the petshops I worked in did, it's quite common because they often infest the peanuts etc in the main suppliers warehouses and the petshop gets the stuff already infested :?) they'll probably have a few packs of the traps already to use around the shop (they're 3D triangular sticky traps with a pheromone block - they attract the males with the pheromones who get stuck and then obviously can't go and breed with the females so they die off without reproducing)
Fingers crossed it's not them though as they can be a pain to get rid of, but if it is then hopefully you've caught it early!

agilityandmoths005-1.jpg

this a pic of one, i did notice last night that there seemed to be some in the food tub so that has gone (chucked it before i read your post but there was only about a pounds worth of food in there anyway :) ) will go and see if anywhere sells those trap things :D thanks for you help

Back