• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Rexes-More Heart Problems :-(

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Ned is really struggling now the hot weather has arrived. He is on maximum doses of all his meds but his heart failure is worsening rapidly now. I fear 'a decision' will be needed in the next week or so :cry:

I now believe Eddie may have the same problem as the late Norman (Mini Himmie Rex) :cry: Eddie still has a too high respiration rate and this morning I *think* I detected some heart arrhythmia :cry: He is due to have a chest X-ray and possibly some blood tests next week. I am not expecting good news.

I am convinced that Rexes are more prone to heart disease. So far I have lost 3 to it, all at about 2 years of age. Now I have Ned and Eddie going the same way

:cry: :cry:

Janex

Last edited:
Aw sorry Jane. It's quite possible that certain breeds are more prone to heart problems I guess, it happens in dog breeds doesn't it - my mum has Cavalier King Charles but they've all died prematurely from heart disease although now she keeps her current one on a strict doggy diet so that helps but I don't know what to suggest with rabbits. Has any research been done into this?

Awww - I've wondered how healthy my alpaca piggies are since Charlie died of heart failure - if anything is bred for looks/coat intensively then health becomes a casualty of that :(

Oh Jane, I am SO sorry to hear this. Poor buns.:cry: I love my Rexes too, and my Charlie's (Orange Rex boy) heart gave out suddenly with no warning whatsoever when he was only 2 1/2 years old.:cry: :cry: :cry: The only other bun I have lost to heart failure was Benji, who was a New Zealand White.:cry: Will keep my fingers crossed for your poorly buns, and for you too. XXX :(

i was given a ermine rex and his daughter, both died at fairly young ages to heart attacks,plus blue about 6months ago, yet my dali rex margret was 8 before she died,and darkness ,copper are both 4 so im keeping my eye on them. but i believe some breeders line breed for showing, could be the answer its bred in the lines

i was given a ermine rex and his daughter, both died at fairly young ages to heart attacks,plus blue about 6months ago, yet my dali rex margret was 8 before she died,and darkness ,copper are both 4 so im keeping my eye on them. but i believe some breeders line breed for showing, could be the answer its bred in the lines

Yes its DEFINATELY a line breeding issue. I informed one Breeder about the condition my Vet diagnosed in the two Rexes I bought from the breeder (two Black Otter Brothers, David and Becks :)oops: ) who both died of Congenital Heart Failure at just over 2 years of age. However, the Breeder is STILL producing stock from the same line:censored: and selling them on Freeads:censored: So, you'll have a beautiful Rabbit, but only for a couple of years :cry: :evil: :cry:

Janex

so sorry Jane. I hadn't realised that rexes could be prone to heart disease:shock: Would an underlying heart problem be picked up at a normal health check, or does the problem come on spontaneously?

so sorry Jane. I hadn't realised that rexes could be prone to heart disease:shock: Would an underlying heart problem be picked up at a normal health check, or does the problem come on spontaneously?

A pronounced heart arrhythmia should be picked up but quite often the onset is subtle. With David he was just very lethargic and had a poor exercise tolerance. My then Vet refused to accept there was a problem, even when he became odematous and dysponeic. I had to throw a wobbler to get a conscious X-ray done which revealed a grossly enlarged heart and a chest and abdomen full of fluid :cry: :cry:
Beck's symptoms were much the same. I registered with Christobel after the inepitude of the other Vet became all too apparent. Becks developed symptoms slightly later than David. Because we were with a good Vet Becks was started on treatment A LOT earlier so he coped better and for longer than poor David :cry:
Norman's symptoms started with increased respiration rate and weightloss. He then developed a severe arrhythmia and deteriroated rapidly :cry:
Ned's onset of symptoms were much the same as David and Becks. Ned has now been on treatment for about 8 months. He has fared much beter than D + B but the hot weather is really affecting him :cry:
Eddie's symptoms appear to be very much like Norman's :cry:

There was supposed to be a study on the diagnosis and treatment of heart disease in Rabbits but it never went ahead. It was meant to have been done at Bristol

Janex

Thanks for that. Next time Floss goes to see Kevin I'll mention this to him and ask him to have an extra long listen!!

Back