• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on antibiotics

Bee

New Kit
I took my bunny to the vet the other day because he's been sneezing on and off for a couple of weeks. The vet told me that if he keeps sneezing to take him back and get some antibiotics. I'm a bit apprehensive about giving him drugs.. Does anyone have any advice? In what form does the rabbit take antibiotics? And how long can it take for it to work? I'm also worried about how much it'll cost in the end..

I've noticed my bun hasn't been sneezing as much, but there's still the odd sneeze. I'm worried about him!

Last edited:
I just finished up giving Pooples antibiotics. The vet started him on them when we lost Smeagol to pneumonia, last Saturday.
It was a white "chalky" looking liquid. I put it in a tube they gave me, like a syringe without the needle. Then put the tube in his mouth and pushed the medicine in his mouth. The first couple times, we picked him up to give it to him, the last few times I just let him be on the floor, and kind of held him by back of the neck ( kind of like you would a cat) and gave it to him. He was on it from Saturday through Wednesday. He is fine, and showing no signs of sickness.

After seeing first hand how fast an illness can take a bunny, I would follow your vets advise. Better safe, than a suffering bunny. My Smeagol was perfectly normal last Friday night and on Saturday morning, she had sudden, raging pneumoia that took her that fast.
I still can't believe it.

Sorry to hear about Smeagol :(

Thanks for your advice. I'm really worried that if I let it go too long he'll get too sick. Perhaps I should take him back to the vet today..

I would always recommend taking him to the vets (or giving them a call to get their advice) as snuffly symptoms can get worse so quickly. Loki started sneezing and having discharge and within a few hours it got much much worse. The antibiotics themselves aren't too expensive (I paid £6 last time for 20 days worth (at 0.6ml x2 a day) and your vet should charge you a reduced consultation if you are seeing them for an ongoing problem. The antibiotics for Loki took a couple of days to start working so getting them asap could be the best thing (and cheapest) in the long run.

Hope that your vet gets better very soon

Back