• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fly egg?

beckiboo186

Warren Veteran
Found a little thing I suspect is a fly egg/maggot stuck in Rhia's fur today, near her rear end. There is certainly only one, tried to get a photo and its useless :roll: What does a maggot look like? :oops: The thing is transparent & it was sort of tiny, thin and squishy. This is the second time in the last month (ish) that i've seen them, there were two last time. And i've picked them out easily. Should I be worried? Xx

Ooh I don't know :? It's a worry isn't it. Anyone else know about this?

Bunnybasics used to do an anti fly spray you could use all over bunns, not sure if they still do it :?

I've never seen a rabbit with flystrike, but I'm pretty sure maggots are yellowish rather than transparent?

Sounds a bit like a parasitic worm.

On the subject of rearguard I think from experience of my friends two rabbits dying of flystrike then rearguard or something similar has to be used (preventative fly catchers, different smells etc). It's everyone's preference but as Ozzy regularly has a messy bum due to maloclussion then I feel rearguard is the way to go but others feel they don't want to use the chemicals and it is everyone's personal preference and circumstance.

Maybe clean her bottom, completely disinfect and scrub her hutch and put a couple of lavender plants around instead?

It can happen quicker than that though, my friends bunnies died within hours, he checked them in the morning and by lunch it had happened.

Really, that's terrible. Surely they must have been eggs laid before that morning. I didn't think eggs hatched witin a few hours of being laid by flies?

Its difficult to decide what to give your rabbit and what not to these days with newish talk of worming etc... and I never used to vacinate my rabbit when I was a kid.

Its really worrying. :(

You found a maggot a while ago when you had Tilly didnt you Becki - I have never ever found one tbh :? I dont think its normal

It is completely awful :(. He couldn't see any eggs and it they were dark coloured bunnies.

I never know what to do with Ozzy but I felt rearguard was the way to go when he can have a messy bum while I'm at school and it could have set in by the time i get back :(

It can happen quicker than that though, my friends bunnies died within hours, he checked them in the morning and by lunch it had happened.

That was my thinking, I'd hate to come home from work to that.

My mum has to throw the cat food out before she goes to bed because in summer flies go in and lay eggs and by morning there are maggots. I'm getting a fly screen fitted to the new hutch just to be extra careful.

I used Rearguard on my Sophie, cos she always had a messy bum... and flystrike is awful... my friends guinea pig had that and she died:cry: , she cleaned her out in the morning and in the evening she had died!:cry: I check religiously now... is it possible though, that ur bun gots worms? has it had some panacur?

A fly screen's a good idea. Luckily my buns live in a garage set-up and although they have permanent access to their outdoor run via a catflap, they tend to stay in during the day and sleep so less flies seem to be around them compared to when they were in their hutch/run combo! I still check daily though just in case.

Becki, did they look anything like this?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=96073&highlight=benjamin

Just these were worms, or so my vet thinks. If you find anymore, put it in something maybe water so it doesnt shrivel up and take it to the vets so they can put it under the microscope. I only found those two in the photograph on the benjamin and one a day later. They are still on a 28 day course of panacur (all of them) and i hadnt found any since.

I panicked so much though about flystrike that i rearguarded them all too... i dont like putting chemicals on my bunnies either, but at the same time, i check their bums every day without fail as well as emptying and cleaning their litter trays daily, and i still found whatever it was on his bum

Anyway... whatever it was on his bum, whether it was a fly egg or a worm (most likely) appears to have gone.

Try and get whatever it is and take it to the vets... and depending on what it is... if fly egg - rearguard... if worms - both bunnies need 28 day course of panacur

Back