• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

different types of hay

bunny_scabbit

Warren Scout
i have just been reading about alfalfa and how it should not be feed too much due to the amount of calcium, but i have just seen OAT hay but can not find anything to suggest how this should be feed, anyone have any knowledge of this?

also, my bun often eats the burgess excel forage, but he has started to turn his nose up at it. i bought p@h timothy and excel herbage both of which he is also refusing to eat. it's a bit frustrating cos it's just going to waste and costing me a fortune to keep buying all these different hays which he won't eat.

any suggestions would be very welcomed

I find the stuff at p@h to be rubbish actually :shock: It never looks or smells very fresh. My buns basically are fed on one type of hay, and have a handful of readigrass every day.
Is there a farm shop near you? That is where the best (and cheapest!) hay will come from. I get mine from www.dustfreehay.co.uk as the bunnies love it, and it's cheaper for me to get 10 bales at a time (lasts about 2 months). The readigrass I get from a local pet food warehouse - 15kg for about £6.
If you want fancier hays, try www.thehayexperts.co.uk or bunnybasics who are members on here.

mine love Oat hay - they get a handful every day more or less.

I get it from Burns - so either straight from Burns website, or hayexperts. Bunny basics also do a good value oat hay. Also you can ask a local petshop that sells the Burns dog food if they can order in some of the oat hay for you.

But your best bet would be to try the hay experts sample pack - there is a small bag of each differnt type for them to try. through this i found mine loved oat hay. They also liked the Bunny brome but i don't tend to buy this as its quite expensive!!

I think the burgess supa forage is rubbish at the moment, its really dry and short so falls out of the rack, I buy P@H hay for bedding and sometimes I get bags that are great and he'd rather sit and munch on that than the supa forage.

Yup my lot go mad for Burns oat hay too. Also they love 2nd cut timothy hay.. got a bale of it on its way at the mo :D Otherwise they have a bale of meadow hay from a local farm store :D

have you tried the sample packs from the hay experts? could save you a lot of money :D
mine love the orchard grass but it is too pricey to feed everyday :shock: they love devons best meadow hay but i cant seem to find it now :( they also like the pure pastures but not as much oat hay from bunny basics went down a storm as did the herbal hay. i am going to order some of their meadow hay soon to try that :D

have you tried the sample packs from the hay experts? could save you a lot of money :D
mine love the orchard grass but it is too pricey to feed everyday :shock: they love devons best meadow hay but i cant seem to find it now :( they also like the pure pastures but not as much oat hay from bunny basics went down a storm as did the herbal hay. i am going to order some of their meadow hay soon to try that :D

The meadow hay was back on the website yesterday! My most recent bag seems to be a bit more straw like and sharp, but still smells nice!

thanks for the replies, so can oat hay be feed freely?

yep mine get a handful everyday or so. And they also have basic meadow hay in their litter tays and bed which they like for a change. Then they also get a handful of other hays/grasses for a change too. Like redigrass and timothy.

thanks again for all your replies, i have just ordered the hay experts selection pack and some timothy and oat hay from bunny basics along with some other treats for my little fella :D

Hello,

I am in the US, and just found a source for Oxbow hay - timothy, brome, orchard grass, and oat - and they are all the same price.

Is there one that is vastly superior to the others, or do you think it is a good idea to feed some combination of them - or all of them - and if so, in what percentages?

Thank you again!

Michelle

Hello,

I am in the US, and just found a source for Oxbow hay - timothy, brome, orchard grass, and oat - and they are all the same price.

Is there one that is vastly superior to the others, or do you think it is a good idea to feed some combination of them - or all of them - and if so, in what percentages?

Thank you again!

Michelle

Hi!!
well the timothy and oat are quite fibrous and thick so are v good for teeth. The grasses are just great for variety and fibre intake really. None of them need to be limited for any reason so go with what your bunny likes. Mine love the Oat hay! mmmm! If you were to only feed one or two i would go for the timothy and oat as it is super good for their teeth :D

I have tried all sorts of hays with my lot, some they liked, some they didn't... I have come back to bog standard meadow hay straight from the farm bought in bales (I have 10 rabbits to feed). They like it, it keeps them and their little teeth healthy - and it's dead cheap.

Vera

I just went onto these sites bunny basics and hayexperts (who i have used before) and spent more on my bunny than i do for myself and husband on food. My OH is gonna flip. I do like hayexperts though, very quick delivery. I too tried the sample packs and they are great, not only do you find out which hay to get next time, my bun loved ripping the bags apart. Keeps him well amused.

Charlie has had some fun with those sample packs too, he was most impressed with the brome, (it was a lovely green colour) but ate them all enthusiastically, I'll be ordering him some when the supaforage runs out because it should be called supash!t at the moment.

My bunnies all have unlimited access to meadow hay, both in their hayracks and in their litter trays, and they also have Russel Barley Straw in their litter trays, which they also like to nibble, and each day they also each have a handful of one of the Oxbow hays for variety, and just because they LOVE them! I usually alternate between the Oxbow Orchard Grass and the Oxbow Western Timothy, and occassionally, probably once every 7 - 8 days, I give them the Oxbow Alfalfa Nibbles for a treat!:D

Back