• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Crunchie ill but recovered overnight

heleni

Warren Scout
Is this normal?

Last night Crunchie was acting ill - she sat laid out in a corner, then the litter trays, wasn't eating anything (very very unusual - she loves her food normally), was grinding her teeth a little and even let me pick her up without a struggle. I also wonder if she was letting off some kind of smell because the slug were really really attracted to the cage, which is unusual - must have removed about 15 of them.

I was all prepared to take her to the vet first thing this morning - when I went out I was expecting the worst really, but instead I found her bounding around like normal and just a little hungry for some greens. She seems to be totally back to her normal self now, though obviously I am keeping an eye on her.

What could have caused this illness then recovery? Could it have been constipation but then it passes through her? I don't think it was anything in their veg or food as Button was fine. Crunchie has been eating a lot of her newspaper recently, and I was also really worried that we might have walked some slug pellets into the run, after we found a bluey-green powder on its floor last night. Luckily in the light of the morning, it turned out to be their salt lick that had gone powdery, but she could have been chewing and overdosing on that. Also the string that held it on was gone, so perhaps she ate that. I'll be attaching things with garden wire in the future!

:) Glad she's OK - I think you have probably guessed right as to what made her ill. If they have a fresh bundle of hay twice a day they might ignore the newspaper, although once bunnies get in a habit it's hard to break them out of it. Also they don't need a salt lick at all, so that's one less thing to worry about :)

She has loads and loads of hay available to her every day but only seems to nibble on it occasionally. I think she just likes the taste of the paper!

Yeah they can be really fussy with hay - I have to get mine delivered from Wales :roll: but if you have a car and can get to farm shops they often have nicer hay than pet shops do, greenish and long - or market stalls and greengrocers - I've had some lovely stuff from my grocers :)

I got mine, a half-bale, from a local farmer, and that is nice and green and had a lovely hay-ey smell to it. Much cheaper than a pet shop too. I'd eat it if I were a rabbit!

Oh well she must just be a fussy moo like my bunny Maa - when I cut her pellets back to make her eat more hay like the other bunnies, she nearly starved to death :rolleyes:

Back