• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet bunny on the loose!

Joob-joobs

Mama Doe
I came home from work to find 2 young girls in my front garden on the driveway beside the car. I have to admit I thought the worst and thought they were messing about with the car so I asked them what they were doing. They said "people are saying there is a rabbit running about there" and pointed into my back garden. My heart sank and I had visions of one of my bunnies on the loose outside.

I went into my back garden and my boyfriend and two women were in the garden. They said there's a bunny in next doors garden. It wasn't one of mine! Phew!

It was a wee silver/grey bunny with a white tail. Definitely not a wild one. Turns out it had escaped from a garden over the back and a few along to the left. They were out and didn't even know it was gone. Another neighbour said he had been trying to catch it this morning so heavens knows how long it had been out... There was also a cat in the next garden watching it's every move. I managed to catch it and my neighbour across the road took it back to it's home. Apparently it's got a tiny wee hutch... :cry: :cry: :cry:

How sad. Another example of wonderful pet ownership. When are we going to be able to implement the 'owning a pet is a priviledge not a right' mentally?

Poor rabbit :( . I had similar a while ago, I found a rabbit across the road from me sitting in the middle of the road. When I told its owners, they said "He gets out a lot but what can you do?". Buy some weld mesh you stupid :censored:

If your gate isn't safe, your garden isn't secure and so you should not leave it to chance and hope someone can save your rabbits from being run over. Buy a run, or make one if money's a bit tight. You wouldn't leave a child's safety to chance, so why think it's acceptable for your bunnies?

i found my bobbie running on the estate, the neighbor said that the boys just left her and another rabbit and guinea pig run loose on road for months, poor girl, i know the boys the mom said just to take her after we caught her , she is now very happy and relaxed just sad about the gpig and other bun ,hopefully some one else came and took them, but chances are their kittens (also left outside) had them...:censored: :evil:

we did put them in a runs, but all they did was jump out and break them! :oops: Even when i put the roof on the top of the run he still jumed up and collapsed it onto the guinea pigs! who weren't at all impressed! lol!

Last edited:
Someone in our village cheerfully admits her rabbits dig out from the garden all the time and actually has bought a 'net' to catch them with :?

Saying that they do live a wonderfully free range life albeit a dangerous one, not a risk I'd take with my rabbits

Same woman has 'lost' her two ducks who paddled off in the high river the other week and keep being sited enjoying their freedom on the river :roll:

I'm probably about to reveal myself as a terrible owner :oops: but I can resist letting my three out in the garden to play even though we have a big run with a lid. But only when I'm around to supervise them.

They just love to have the extra space to run around in. We thought that we'd totally bunny-proofed the garden with wire and bricks. That is until I saw Frodo hopping along in my neighbours garden! :shock:

He'd managed to climb up the bricks blocking a hole and force the wire back. I had been warned by the recsue centre that they were escape artists! I decided to make sure the other two didnt join him before trying to catch him. Hurriedly I took Merry out of the greenhouse where he was sleeping and shut him in the run. Then I realised I couldnt find Pippin so I figured he must have gone under the fence with Fro (who was by this time sitting under an apple tree two gardens away as my neighbour came round to inform me).

After half an hour of chasing Fro between my neighbours' two gardens, he finally lay down and let me catch him. All this time I had not seen Pippin and was by now extremely worried.

So I checked our garden again to see if he was hiding anywhere. Finally I looked behind the shed and there he was :D Silly bunny had climbed over the hedgehog house and large bag of woodchips that were supposedly blocking off the back of the shed from naughty rabbits. And then he couldnt get out. He was a total sweetie though and came right out and in to my hands once I'd moved the obstacles.

Well I've decided not to let them out anymore because it's too risky :( Well, that is until we move house on thursday! They're going to be allowed indoors and in a large shed possibly, and maybe out in the garden once I've thoroughly bunny-proofed it.

Back