• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best breed of rabbit for a first time owner?

Dannikins

New Kit
Hi!

I just wondered what everyone thinks is the best pet rabbit in terms of easyness to look after and to handle! Any replies would be appriciated!

Dannikins x

My Benny - but you can't have him :D He's the nondescript brown wild colour bunny in my sig - nobody wanted him from the rescue because he wasn't a baby and he wasn't a nice colour :( He was there for a year nearly and I got him when he was about 18months old, already neutered. So I would say an older, neutered, boy bunny is best for a first-timer :)

I would agree with Elve, an older neutered boy... young unspeyed girls are, (in my experience:? ) sometimes a handful!!:oops: Dwarf lops and Dutch are good I think!!

Personally, unless they were going to be a house rabbit, I would look for a bonded pair from a rescue. That way the difficult things like neutering and bonding have already been done for you and you are all set to start enjoying your rabbits!

A really good book if you haven't seen it already is 'The Problem With Rabbits' by Pat Rees. You can get it from Amazon and the Rabbit Welfare Association website.

Other then that, you should probably be looking at small/medium sized rabbits and, if possible, ones that don't mind being handled too much.

Thank you both for your replies! The website is very helpful! I have read that it is best to keep rabbits in pairs as they are quite sociable animals is this true? If you purchase a older neutured male does this mean that he will have to stay on his own or can other rabbits be introduced to him? Thanks again fr your replies!

Rabbits are very social little creatures. If you got an older neutered male he would not have to stay on his own at all! You could bond him with a (spayed)female and providing introductions go well, he'll be fine.

I've never had a neutered boy but I think most people on here would agree that it is good to get him a partner :D (please correct me if I'm wrong because I am sure there are plenty of people on here with more knowledge than me :D)

Esther x

Most rescues will pair up their bunnies anyway, as well as neuter and vaccinate them for you. Of course that does mean a hefty adoption donation to the rescue, but it is far cheaper and easier than doing it yourself - and rabbits are expensive to keep so you need funds set by for vets and roomy accomodation too :)

Back