• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rehoming bunnies and guinea pigs

waggytailstina

Alpha Buck
As you can see from my signiture, we have a animal boarding buisness, I am just wondering what you guys think about people who abandon animals here and what is a good rehoming policy to have at present we keep them for 28 and then try to rehome and i have to say we have only been able to rehome baby animals and not the adults.
I have had 4 abandonments recently , the RSPCA arn't interested!!!!
so guys what do you think ?:wave:

I would advertise them on rabbit rehome - http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/ see the 'add/edit rabbits' button - hopefully they will find homes but you could also put them on a waiting list with a reputable rescue (lots here) as they will know more about the rehoming pitfalls, what to check up on etc, and they have publicity too :)

I don't have a very high opinion of anyone who dumbs animals outside people's houses or shelters, but those who are forced to give up a pet for a genuine reason due to an unpredicted change in circumstances I don't blame. Although those who rush in to buy a cute fluffy bunny for their 5 year old with no research then find they can't look after it, I also have very little respect for.

I'm sorry you are struggling to find homes for older pets, I'm sure others who rescue on here will be of more use than me.

I couldn't believe the last abandonment as they paid for 2 weeks and left a false name and address!!!
I could never do that to my bunnies or girbles !!! :cry:
People are so thoughtless, as there is a legal requirement for them to be kept for 14 days incase the owners return !!!I obviously write to the addresses i have and phone and sometimes even going to house myself!!! which i did in the last Case but the house was empty and had been for 6 months!!!:cry:

Awww that's a shame - I guess the novelty wears off for us all with pets, but abandoning them because you can't be bothered any more is really callous :(

Do you have anything written down for the owners to sign which explains what happens if the pet isn't collected? Not sure about the legalities but I'm sure strays only have to be advertised for 7 days so perhaps you could look into writing down that pets will be advertised as stray after 24 hours from the arranged collection date if you haven't heard from the owners and rehomed after 7 days, rather than 2 weeks?

You could try setting up a page on your website showing some of the older animals you have and their stories if you know them.

What I think should happen to people who abandon/mistreat their animals is unprintable:censored: !

I also think that ignorance is no excuse for not knowing what you are getting into when you buy a pet, there is enough information out there in books and on the web. IMHO you should have to demonstrate your prior knowledge before being granted some sort of permit to keep animals.

Always take name, address, vets address and an emergency contact. Ask for ID confirming their address.

I'm not sure if it counts as abandonment. It would be breaking the law to release them in the wild but s a boarding facility is a safe location I don't think the same applies.

Tam

I think I'm in the process of being a victim of that myself:shock: & I have only boarded for close friends & 1 forum member:lol: (but I'm not sure I mind - bun is adorable:oops: )

As for your abandonned older buns, have you tried contacting a local Rescue? They might be more successful at rehoming:D

I'm currently considering adopting a doe to keep my neutered male company, see linked thread, so would be looking for one that is old enough to be spayed or preferebly already spayed.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=98249

If I bring Charlie to board with you, feel free to bond him with an abandoned female- that way my bf can't say no, hehe. :lol:

In all seriousness I am looking for somewhere for him to stay when we go on holiday for two weeks in September, we live in Leeds/Bradford but will be staying in Barnsley the night before we fly so Leeds/Bradford/Barnsley or Sheffield would be ideal- he doesn't mind travelling.

We have in the past taken two adorable bunnies from Tina, but they were ones she found rather than had dumped on her :shock: You know I can (nearly) always give you a hand :D

I was really just testing the water to see what people think as the buisness i and insurers don't have to many guide lines, and sooz the 2 that came to you were found lol but the ones i was talking about were left in the past, as they have been with me for sometime i am not rehomoing them , these 4 live at my brothers !!! and have the run of the garden during the day and a large shed at night, but I may be phoning you in the future , as leaving animals seems to be a speciality of our clients :cry: It something i didn't really expect as i wouldn't do that to my own bunnies as far as i am concerned they are for life!!
I have 2 wonderful french lops who are really happy here with us, they are part of my family and i love them both so much .:D

We've been victims of this too, so don't know if it's a South Yorkshire trait. Merlin and Caramel were both never picked up by their owners depsite a disclaimer on our booking forms. We only board animals that are fully vaccinated so decided to keep them ourselves as at least their vacs were up to date.

What has worried me lately though is reading on some forums of small animal boarding businesses that are helping out by fostering. Don't get me wrong I know they need love and attention etc but I would be very worried as a bunny owner of then boarding my animal with them as you have no idea if the animals are disease free or not,vaccinated etc, or if they are kept isolated from the boarders and specific hutches only used for those. Hopefully most company owners are scrupulous but sadly as we know all too well, some are not and you will have no idea when you visit if the rabbits near yours are foster ones or not.:(

I get so annoyed when people call us up wanting to board their rabbits with us and when I ask if they are vaccinated and they say no and I refuse to take them they can get quite nasty and say they will use somewere else or just leave them at home with a large bowl of food!!!! :censored: Some dont even know they should be vaccinated. I worry like mad what might happen to their pets and if indeed they have been left, but you cannot jeopardise not only your businesses reputation but the health of the other boarders by accepting non vaccinated pets.

We only board animals that are fully vaccinated so decided to keep them ourselves as at least their vacs were up to date.

I'm having a look at your website now, going away for 17 days in september and we're staying in Barnsley at my bf's parents house the night before we go as they are taking us to the airport. I was going to let him stay with a relative but I would feel better knowing that he's in very capable hands. He's fully vaccinated.

I have a separate area for non injected bunnies, some vets don't agree it nessasary now but i do:cry: !!! and we insist on it however i took in 2 recently who hadn't been , my customers signed a disclaimer and they were in isolation for weeks holiday but we don't take uninjected rabbits.
:D

Back