• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D - Bunny Fight . Help

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Theo has just ripped huge clumps of fur out of Cleo and is chasing her.

Checked her over, no cuts but cant leave them together. Shes shaking and cowering

Think maybe theo smelled new baby roo on me.

Any way- Range Jane Dexter who recommends Bonding Roo and Cleo together and leaving grumpy theo alone..... I dont want to split them but surely I can leave him to do this and him rip her apart every time i smell of another bunny?

I need urgent help please! need to sort this today as have only 2 cages

I have read on here and in books that this is called Transferrence agression. When your original bun smells a new bun but can't get at them to defend their territory, they end up taking it out on the bun nearest to them.:( The only thing I can think of is moving Little Roo to another room so that they can't smell him anymore? This should calm them down.

Hi Jemma,

I had this when I tried putting Duchess' cage too near Ben & Lily in their terratory before I was ready to bond them.

Can you move Roo's cage out of sight and smell of the other 2? This should calm Theo down and save the bond between him and Cleo. (it was almost instantanious with Ben & Lily, they just snuggled back together and looked at me as if to say "what happened there mum?")

Are you planning on bonding Roo with the others?

I have read on here and in books that this is called Transferrence agression. When your original bun smells a new bun but can't get at them to defend their territory, they end up taking it out on the bun nearest to them.:( The only thing I can think of is moving Little Roo to another room so that they can't smell him anymore? This should calm them down.

hes inside, they are outside- i hung one of roo's towels on the washing line outside- that must have sparked it off.

Just removed all the smelly articles and re introduced! im covered in scratched- he locked onto her again and i had to grab him with 2 hands and pull him off her.

I think they are broken :(

Hi Jemma,

I had this when I tried putting Duchess' cage too near Ben & Lily in their terratory before I was ready to bond them.

Can you move Roo's cage out of sight and smell of the other 2? This should calm Theo down and save the bond between him and Cleo. (it was almost instantanious with Ben & Lily, they just snuggled back together and looked at me as if to say "what happened there mum?")

Are you planning on bonding Roo with the others?

No- no plan to bond- theo wouldnt accept him.

Theo and cleo have a thistle hall in the garden

Roo is a house bun-

Please help- clumps of fur all over the gaff!

What about putting the one bun in the bathroom to calm down ?
Maybe even scrub the hutch out before trying them back together ..
When you do put them back together give them some snacks or put a box in there to take their minds off fighting ...

I'm sure Theo will calm down soon- I've seen this happen before too. How are they now?

I don't personally think bonding Cleo with Roo is a good idea :? Surely Theo will be really lonely??

I think you're just going to have to make sure you change clothes/thoroughly wash your hands etc after handling Roo. Also, always make sure you feed T and C first in the morning etc.

I believe Roo has almost fully decended plums doesn't he :?
If so, I am not sure attemting to bond him with Cleo would be a good idea as he'll hump her endlessly and she'll get pee'd off and might attack

Janex

Theres so much to think about.....

Honestly- I am on a 3 til midnight shift at work now and have come up with a temporary fix- they are all alone.

Theo is like a thing possessed- Im scared to place them together- when i re-introduced them cleo was curled up and panting and shaking and he just launched at her

I will re-assess in the morning. Im going to stress all day- Im covered in scratches

I believe Roo has almost fully decended plums doesn't he :?
If so, I am not sure attemting to bond him with Cleo would be a good idea as he'll hump her endlessly and she'll get pee'd off and might attack

Janex

Thats a good point! Ive not seen him hump anything yet but its a chance

Cleo is like a battered wife though. For the whole time ive had her she is timid- shy etc and rather than attack she always runs. Id honestly say she would never hurt another bun. Little roo is like a lil baby so thinking she may mother him. He is about a third of her size. Theres no fix at the moment.

If you've got 2 cages indoors, and a hutch outside I'd split them up for now, wait till Roo's been neutered and is less hormonal, then bond him with Cleo - you could put them outside and have Theo as a house bun so he doesn't get lonely - They don't usually bond again when there's been a serious fight like this.

If you've got 2 cages indoors, and a hutch outside I'd split them up for now, wait till Roo's been neutered and is less hormonal, then bond him with Cleo - you could put them outside and have Theo as a house bun so he doesn't get lonely - They don't usually bond again when there's been a serious fight like this.

Sparklefairy's bunns rebonded after a similar incident- I think i remember one had it's eyelid ripped.

I don't know if anyone else agrees, but I think it would be cruel for Theo to be left on his own.

Roo is alone at the moment- I dunno.

Theo is so un-sociable. It took me 3 Months to bond him with Cleo.

Im not kidding when I say he is a terror- You cant handle him, cant give him meds, he wont accept any veg and he HATES other bunnies.

Please dont say im cruel- I need to hink of the majority-

And it would be cruel to leave theo and cleo together if he is periodically going to attack her

Roo is alone at the moment- I dunno.

Theo is so un-sociable. It took me 3 Months to bond him with Cleo.

Im not kidding when I say he is a terror- You cant handle him, cant give him meds, he wont accept any veg and he HATES other bunnies.

Please dont say im cruel- I need to hink of the majority-

And it would be cruel to leave theo and cleo together if he is periodically going to attack her

I didn't say YOU were cruel, but that I thought to bond his partner with another bunn would be. What about the pics in your signature? They look happily bonded to me.

I don't think you can assume he's going to periodically attack her after one incident- as I said surely you just need to change your clothes etc.

Anyway, it's up to you- you did ask for advice.

I feel sure that it would be possible to keep Theo and Cleo together but only if :

1 They are away from the sight and smell of Roo at all times.
2 You dont handle Roo then go near C +T

It seems that there was not a two way fight but refered aggression from Theo to Cleo because he could see or smell Roo. The source of his aggression isn't Cleo but Roo

Janex

I've got 2 single bunnies outside and they are happy living as neighbours - I've never dared try to bond them after serious fighting a couple of years ago. Theo sounds quite happy alone, so I think you need to concentrate on the real one who's suffering here - Cleo. She could get so stressed it makes her ill - stasis and heart failure are often brought on by stress like this, as is liver damage, not to mention complications from abscesses after wounding - Maa's abscess cost me over £500 last year. I think bonding should only be attempted if there's not outright hatred between the rabbits, and if you are sure you can cover the vet bills and seperate accomodation should it fail. Otherwise I think it's irresponsible.

Thanks all, Ill scrub them out tomorrow and try again.

Its just hard to explain what I mean online... The picture is a good one but definately a one off- he licks her eyes to death but they have never really been to close.

Ill have a good think today. But i think it would be unfair to deny roo time in the garden so that they dont fight.

Lots of points to consider and you have all really helped. I dont think there is a right answer but Ill give theo and Cleo another bash later on

I've got 2 single bunnies outside and they are happy living as neighbours - I've never dared try to bond them after serious fighting a couple of years ago. Theo sounds quite happy alone, so I think you need to concentrate on the real one who's suffering here - Cleo. She could get so stressed it makes her ill - stasis and heart failure are often brought on by stress like this, as is liver damage, not to mention complications from abscesses after wounding - Maa's abscess cost me over £500 last year. I think bonding should only be attempted if there's not outright hatred between the rabbits, and if you are sure you can cover the vet bills and seperate accomodation should it fail. Otherwise I think it's irresponsible.

Thanks, theo lived alone for 7 months and seemed happy- he has always chased cleo and pulled her fur but never like this- today is different

Thanks, theo lived alone for 7 months and seemed happy- he has always chased cleo and pulled her fur but never like this- today is different

It is Roo Theo is trying to attack, not Cleo and because he can't get to Roo he has gone for her.

Back