• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue Newsletter: Your Thoughts

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I've been kinda thinking of something but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not. So I thought I'd ask everyone else.

There are lots of rescues that don't have access to the 'net and the gossips that goes around and sharing of information. There are a few that are a bit out dated on information too and could perhaps do with some education information.

I was wondering if an old fashioned paper newsletter through the post would be a good idea.

Maybe with a care topic each time and then things on where to get free leaflets, companies offering discounts, fund-raising things that worked for other rescues that sort of thing.

The downside is the time to compile it and the cost. Realistically to send a newsletter to 300-400 rescues it's going to cost £100-150 a time. Is that a good use of funds or would it go better to a rescue for vets bills?

Tamsin

I wrote newsletters for about 15 months and the feedback I got from customers was that they loved it!. The time factor need not be massive as a few volunteers to over see the final draft is probably all you need ( maybe on a rota basis to share responsibility?) plus if it were thrown out to forum members the contributions could come in from any one. The cost will be the big sticking point as printing will be expensive, plus postage. The question would have to be if the benefits justified the costs and I'm not sure. The chances are the letter would be appreciated and enjoyed, but it may not be enough for the money unless it really was a lifeline of information and contacts. Just thinking out loud really, sorry not much use am I ?:oops: :lol:

I considered writing a newsletter from the rescue for our adopters and for sale for a £1 on our webpage (money towards the buns of course). I still have the draft but found I dont have the time to write one each month.

Shame its about people who cant get on the net.....else it could be a downloadable PDF file....and free!

I'm not big with making Pros and Cons lists......so I'll just say that I think it would be a GREAT idea, and I personally would LOVE it!!!!!:D :D

Sorry if I wasn't very clear :oops: I meant a newsletter to go to rescue centre owners. So telling them about contacts, other rescues tips etc.

Could do a PDF download as well but mainly interested in targeting places that perhaps don't get the info that rescues online here get.

Tam

I think it would be a great idea. There are lots of people trying to help the bunny situation, and I know plenty of them just do not have the know how, or financial means. This way they may also feel they have someone on their side. It can be very lonely running a rescue, if I did not have access to the internet etc and knew there were so many like minded people out there I would certainly find it even more difficult.

Alice

really good idea but why not the rescues that are on the web email it to them as then that would save some money

Elaine

Perhaps a sort of internet correspondence scheme could be set up - you initially contact rescues 'offline' but use volunteers who are local with internet access to give the rescues the online benefits - e.g. send a PDF document to the volunteers to be printed off and given to the rescue (saving printing and postage costs)
Perhaps you could produce some offline forms for Rabbit Rehome to include too - so the rescue could fill these out when they get the time for a volunteer to copy onto the RR site?

I think it would be a great idea too. How about approaching some related companies to see if you could get any kind of mutually beneficial sponsorship for the newsletter?

It would also be good to get rescues sharing information to help each other - e.g. you wouldn't believe how long it took me to find the information about getting commission from petplan; eventually someone from a cat rescue gave it to me. But that would be beneficial to all rescues to know about, plus of course it would be beneficial to petplan as they may get more business. Maybe they'd be prepared to sponsor a newsletter if they got some info about their schemes put on there? Same goes for companies who offer commission for people who buy stuff via a rescue recommendation (although this usually works via internet links so maybe not as viable).

But um yes I think it could be a really good way to engage rescues especially non-internet ones, and could be a good way of spreading good practice and encouraging good practice out there.

Perhaps a sort of internet correspondence scheme could be set up - you initially contact rescues 'offline' but use volunteers who are local with internet access to give the rescues the online benefits - e.g. send a PDF document to the volunteers to be printed off and given to the rescue (saving printing and postage costs)

It's a good theory but finding reliable volunteers to to that and then keeping track of how each rescue was getting it would be a nightmare :(

How about approaching some related companies to see if you could get any kind of mutually beneficial sponsorship for the newsletter?

That could work! Rescues buy things themselves but they also pass info on to the public so could work well for the company.

Is it best to put a first edition together and then show sponsors or just approach them with the idea?

Do anyone have any other ideas for topics? The petplan one is excellent!

Tam

excellent idea and i agree you couldl e mail it to those rescues you know have net access and just post to those that don't.

Some rescues are unaware of the leaflets RWA can provide on rabbit care..another topic?..

E C!!!

There is a great RWA/RWF topic on EC which I have found really helpful with our rabbits and I pass it on to worried owners too. :D

Back