• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Beapher fly treatments and Neem oil

halon

Warren Scout
Hi,

I've bought both types of beapher fly treatment - the 3 month one and the one week one. Are you supposed to use both together? Or would that be dangerous?

I'm not so keen on putting chemicals on my bunnnies anyway - and when I put it on it mostly seems to go on their fur rather than their skin. And then they groom themselves! I think when this hot weather's over I might stop using it.

Has anybody tried using neem oil? I've read that it's a good fly-repellant and safe to ingest.

thanks

Heather

Hi there heather.

I use the beaphar fly free (weekly one) as it repels fleas/insects as well. To avoid it going too much on the fur, I give my my bunnies their favourite greens and whilst they are eating, I can brush back the fur to spray onto the skin. Would your buns allow you to do this? I'm not too keen on putting chemicals on either, but as my garden backs onto open farmland, I just want as much protection as possible. I have had neem oil before, it smells very peculiar and seemed quite greasy, although it is very natural and can be used on wounds as well. I have also tried a citronella flea repellent from bunny basics which can be put onto a brush and then applied to the bunnys coat. Again I do this while they are eating so that they don't groom straight away!!

Of all I have found the fly free easiest to apply. I don't know about using both together, one is a bit like rear guard isn't it? Perhaps this one should only be used if your buns are more susceptible to fly strike, eg if they are more prone to dirty botties. Perhaps someone else has more knowledge of this.

thanks
xx

I use the weekly spray on him and stroke his head whilst I spray him then give him a good brush and a treat, he's not bothered by the process now. It works though, this is really gross but I've just found that there are maggots turning to flies in the moss around the edge of the paving. I've killed the moss and all of the maggots/flies now. No flies go near his hutch or him- I even spray that, and the few that managed to turn into flies -causing me to investigate where they were coming from have died instantly- probably because I've even sprayed the walls that they've gone to when they've hatched.

In short- the weekly stuff works! ;)

Back