• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yet another question about hay... this time general

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
Due to the weather picking up lately, been quite warm up nooorth, i can see alot of hay bales in fields, so farmers must be able to make the hay now :?. Anyway my question is... how long does it take for the hay to become ok to feed to bunnies from being bailed?

Just there is this organic farm about 30mins away which has meadow hay but last time i phoned they didnt have any hay left, and if he now has some, but it has just been baled it wont be suitable for buns will it?

They dont usually cut it unless there has been 5 - 7 days of dry weather. Its been dry here for 4 days now, I am just hoping it doesnt rain for a few more days then hopefully we should get some new crop hay :D You can use it for the buns as soon as it has dried out which can take between 1 and 2 weeks depending on the weather.

i rang round loads of local farms and stables here yesterday and theres still none:(
good luck getting some , i hope your bunnies enjoy it when its ready!!:D

My local farm should be baling tomorrow hopefully.....getting a bit low now, so i am keeping my fingers crossed!

I've just read through this again and if it's right about waiting 1-2 weeks for it to dry out....then i'm gonna have run out. :shock:

My two won't eat the pets at home stuff either!!!!!

Still on the hay subject ( apologies Oscarbunny for briefly hijacking your thread) but has anyone tried nettle hay on their buns? I ask as I have an acre of nettles in my field and was going to try and dry a load out for winter hay. I know it's had no spray on as it's my field, but I'm a bit worried about whether the protein level is too high compared to the fibre benefits?

From what we have heard this season will be a total disaster for hay.

We have had a nice few days here and once again its horid and raining here.

I know that there are one or 2 farms around here that have cut the hay but the weather has meant that its now rotting in the fields.

We are currently looking at Germany for our meadow hay for the next 12 months. As there crop is good this year.

Dont get me wrong here I'm sure that a few farms will be lucky and have nice hay this year but overall the crop levels will be lower and the quality will not be very good. Its a shame really as our own Hay fields are knackered so we are not bothering to cut this year. And we are havign real problems getting the hay together for a HUGE order we have.

I think generally pet owners will have major problems as the bulk of the crop will have to go to feed cattle and other livestock and us petowners will be left with the dregs :(

We are currently looking at Germany for our meadow hay for the next 12 months. As there crop is good this year.

I hope you'll get Bavarian hay? :D

I thought the weather in Germany had been just as lousy, but I remember that they had a hot week or two a little while ago. And of course it will be hot again when I am there next week. :( I prefer moderate temperatures.

I hope there will be enough "crispy" hay this year, as my lot are not too keen on the soft stuff.

Back