• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny proofing!

WalnutEarth626

Alpha Buck
Right well we have the keys to the new house and will hopefully be moving in Saturday :D we've been sorting stuff out all week getting the house ready. The plan is to spend a couple of weeks there letting ourselves settle in and get used to it (first time living with my OH and also our first time moving out from our parents so a BIG step.) and then bring the pair of rabbits in to bond and live as free range house rabbits.

Obviously a major thing we need to do is bunny proofing. The floor is laminate (will be buying lots of rugs, can't afford carpet ATM) so we have put quadrant/beading on the skirting boards and where possible are running the cables behind that so they're away from bunny teeth! Am also buying some big plastic cable casing for TV wires etc and are removing any unneccessary cables. However in one particular corner the phone cable is on top of the skirting boards and is all neatly pinned on top - is there any way of covering these up and protecting them? They're not at all lose and are pinned really tight but could still be chewed - any ideas for protecting them??

:wave: Our phone wire is the same as yours, and I put masking tape over the top of it to cover it. He hasen't even tried to go for the wire underneath.

Happy new home :D

I'd say stick with the flooring you have, the bun's will get used to it, and if you buy a new carpet and it ends up with the amount of bunny shaped holes mine has, you may be a little annoyed. I have about 7 holes I think, and one is well over a foot long!

We use surface trunking.

See second item down
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=trunking&selected=products&x=0&y=0

It's cheap, it looks quite tidy and it's biggest advantage is the 'lid' can be removed and more wires added at any time. eg extension leads or phone line to computer if not wireless. It's also easier than threading all the wires through a tube. :D

I should add that we have tried the type that sticks (self adhesive) to the wall and the type that screws on. The self adhesive type falls off quite quickly (after a couple of months) so we just drilled it and screwed it to the wall same as the other stuff.

Maria x

Last edited:
www.crittercord.com

I bought it after having to replace several cables, he hates it and doesn't go near them now.

Re: Laminate floor, we have it upstairs (the apartment is upside down), he prefers carpet but he's got used to it now, when I had his spare litter tray lying around one day he kept running and then jumping into it and skidding across the floor, it was hilarious. :lol: I bought a cheap blanket rather than a rug and lay that on the floor when he comes in.

good luck with the move. we are moveing next week. with the bunny proofing i would say if its a cable cover it. jack got behind the tv and stereo one night and had a go at every cable. same with the carpet he pulls the edges up

www.crittercord.com

I bought it after having to replace several cables, he hates it and doesn't go near them now.

Re: Laminate floor, we have it upstairs (the apartment is upside down), he prefers carpet but he's got used to it now, when I had his spare litter tray lying around one day he kept running and then jumping into it and skidding across the floor, it was hilarious. :lol: I bought a cheap blanket rather than a rug and lay that on the floor when he comes in.

Wow thanks for that link - it looks perfect. Only prob is the company are in the US - do you think they will ship to the UK? Sods law i was in the states less than 2 weeks ago!! :roll:

Wow thanks for that link - it looks perfect. Only prob is the company are in the US - do you think they will ship to the UK? Sods law i was in the states less than 2 weeks ago!! :roll:

They do, I have three packets of the stuff, it took longer than expected to arrive so they gave me 1 packet free. They are also developing a spray to stop chewing and the micro cord is coming out in autumn time- great for phone chargers etc. I spoke to the manager at P@H about it last time I went in and he told me to tell head office about it and they might supply it because its really good stuff.

Back