• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weedkiller -advice please

lisa82

Mama Doe
Please can I have some advice as I don't know if I'm going over the top on this one.
2 days ago OH put weedkiller on our outside path, he knows it is banned from the garden cos of buns.
He says
- some of the spray may have drifted onto the top end of the garden (not where buns go) but was certainly not sprayed directly on it.
-He walked across the lawn with the bottle so some of it may have dripped on the lawn (sounds silly I know, it was a spray bottle).

Now the whether has turned nice I really wanted the buns to go in their run as they have never been out there together.

Would you think it was ok to put them out there? When thinking logically, I suppose with anyone a neighbour could spray weedkiller and it drift over a fence without you knowing, although I do know these sketchy details. We do have a small patio area but it doesn't really get the sun and Jess doesn't seem to like it that much.

Sorry for the novel, I would just like the opinions of some bunny people!

Thanks Lisa x

Has it rained since? Has the grass died off or was it one that doesn't kill everything?

I use one thats safe for pets and children and kills all plants so you know exactly where its been. I'll have a look at which one it is when I get home and let you know.

This probably won't apply to your problem but we used weed killer on all our lawn earlier this year, I've been told my buns and GPs can't graze on the new grass for a year after the application.

I just wanted to post the info in case anyone had done the same as me.

Hi thanks. No, I don't think it has rained since (would you believe) and no dead grass. He's binned the bottle so I may take a trip to Asda to check the bottles as it was the one especially for paths and patio. I still hate to think of weedkiller on the grass, pet friendly or not :evil:

Any other advice/ tips (other than do the weedkiller yourself!) greatly appreciated x

I do use weedkiller, as I'm far too lazy to do weeding. I am very paranoid with it though. Evo is an indoor bun so doesn't go outside anyway, but after I've used weedkiller, everything, even shoes, goes straight into the washing machine, I go straight into the shower, and the floor is mopped where I might have stood with weedkiller on me. :oops:

Hi Rallybunny. I am also paranoid, which is why I've written such a long post! OH's weedkilling shoes are banned from the house and his socks were confiscated asap, and yes, the floor was cleaned :oops: This is why I'm so annoyed :evil: Mine are indoors but I know I will feel guilty sitting in the garden with them watching me through the window :(

Could you give the grass a quick soak with the hose? I know that when we used moss killer in our garden in the Autumn (nowhere near the rabbits) that said to water the grass after 2 days if there hadn't been any rain to make it safe.

I should think if you keep their run away from where the weedkiller has been used, they should be ok anyway.

I know, rabbits are such a worry!

Could you give the grass a quick soak with the hose? I know that when we used moss killer in our garden in the Autumn (nowhere near the rabbits) that said to water the grass after 2 days if there hadn't been any rain to make it safe.

Better check to see if there is a hosepipe ban in operation ;)

Martin

if it was roundup then it should be ok ive used that on an allotment where i was going to grow veggies but all the others are nasty. why dont you get him to buy a small flame weeder for next time..? i bet he would love that!! i think you can get them for about 25squid and no nasty chemicals!!

whats a flame weeder??
Which make is safe for animals?
I want to use something on my front garden.. rabbits dont have access to it so its not such a worry but its full of weeds and not alot of grass. Ive given up weeding it cos i never get to the end of it and it all grows back within a few weeks so think something is needed there. But i do have a cat as does next door so i wouldnt want anything that could harm them;)

I think roundup is the one we have. The flame weeder sounds like fun, shame I have no need for such a great sounding toy, I'm such a man :lol:

hi guys, thanks for the replies. I went and checked and the weedkiller said it was not necessary to exclude pets (or children) from the treated area once it was dry, although it's not supposed to be used on grass (still don't like the thought tho).
So I put them out after my preparation, and guess what, they wouldn't walk on the grass, i laid 2 of 'their' tea-towels down and noticed they weren't moving from them, so laid one of 'their' bath sheets down, then they ran around, talk about spoilt!!! :lol: xxx

Back