• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plans

Currently I have my rabbit in a Savic Nero 4, 2 guinea pigs in a Zoozone 2 and 4 guinea pigs in a Rabbit 100. I know none of these are ideal but they are only for a matter of weeks.
Next payday (in a couple of weeks) I will be buying a Rabbit 140 cage for Kovu (my bunny), then I'd move the 4 guinea pigs into the Nero 4 and 2 guinea pigs into the Rabbit 100.
Eventually (probably early next year) I am looking into getting a shed. Am looking into it now but probably cant afford a shed just yet.
The shed would house both Kovu (and his future girlfriend), and 6 guinea pigs. Would a 7foot x 5foot shed be big enough? The plan was to split the shed down the middle (not sure how yet), and have a 1foot walk way...which would leave both living quarters 7foot x 2foot. The space Im using is limited but I can probably add an extra foot or 2 width, just got to measure it!
Does this sound suitable for 6 guinea pigs and 2 rabbits? Any ideas on how I could seperate it?
Or would it be more idea to get 2 sheds instead? Maybe 6foot x 3foot each? This, again, would need to be measured and planned.
Any pointers welcome :)

I think its recommended that each rabbit has the equivalent of 10sq ft so if you could split it into 2 sections, one that is 3 by 5 that would give 15ft sq for 2 buns, then a 1ft walkway in the middle, then another 3 by 5 for the pigs giving them 15 sq ft too. although this would mean splitting it front to back rather than side to side. :?
This is how I split my shed initially before my boy pigs were neuteured;
DSCN0481.jpg

I was standing in the door to take the photo, so it was split front to back, not sideways if that makes sense!
The divider was a piece of loft flooring and was high enough the buns couldn't jump it unless there was a box there, but low enough for me to step over. I also have a run attached, which doubles the floor space and that was divided with a mesh panel so they could see each other.
hope that helps! x Jess

The main problem I can see with this is the rabbits jumping into the pig pen. I would have a 2x6 hutch over run for the rabbits, and house the piggies in a shed - I have a group of 3 pigs in a 2x5 hutch at the moment and it's just big enough for them in my opinion - a pair of pigs needs 2x4 - and of course with rabbits the sky is the limit, but I'd say a pair needs at least a 2x5 double hutch/hutch over run, or a 4x6 shed :)

I really really dont want a hutch though, its a case of shed or in the house. And they'd get more room in a shed!

If they only had an area 2x7 in a shed, that's less room than a 2x5 double hutch though. I'd say they need a shed all to themselves. I keep all my pigs in the house as it's better in winter, doesn't attract mice and rats (they drop food everywhere, unlike bunnies) and is just easier to keep them clean etc.

If you attached a run to the outside then 7 x 2 is big enough for the rabbits, but not for 6 pigs.

This is useful for what size area pigs need:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/

i reckon you'd probably need a minimum of 20ft- 24ft for the 6 of them, so say 3 x 7, or 4 x 6.

I wouldn't keep a group of 3 piggies in anything smaller than a 2x5 (or if a 'rabbit 140' is 60x140cms that's fine) Pigs will fight in too small a space - they need to be able to run around and find somewhere clean and dry to sleep too - although a few of mine insist on sleeping where they toilet anyway :rolleyes: Female pigs come 'in heat' every so often and mount and chase the others, so they need some space.

I have at the moment 14 cages to clean which is crippling financially and physically, but what stops me making larger groups is I don't know how to house them - no room and no money for anything big enough as I reckon a group of 4 would need at least a 2x6 hutch (they don't make cages that big, so I have hutches indoors lined with sticky-back plastic/fablon, for easy cleaning). You could go for a double hutch for larger groups but I worry about them using the ramps - they're really designed for rabbits although you can make the ramp safer if pigs are using it.

I would want an area 3x6 for a group of 6 pigs, with several food dishes and water bottles to avoid fighting, plus I have found they fight over hidey places so I don't give my pairs or groups little houses either.

When I impulsively decided to keep all my rescued piggies, I spent well over £1000 on my setup, having to move rabbits outside and house all the pigs in bigger accomodation - but I had 21 pigs and 7 rabbits then :shock:

Right new plan...
I get a 7x6 shed (already got a quote, £220 with free delivery & erection), get a 7foot x 2foot double hutch. The top part for the piggies, the bottom part as an extra bit for bunnies. The bunnies would be free range in the shed, with the bottom of hutch for sleeping/toilet/eating/anything. Then when buns are outside, pigs could have the shed, and when buns inside, pigs could go outside.

Back