• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue buns & bonding advice

redfrock

New Kit
I have 3 rescue buns (aside from the rest of the menagerie)

I got B 2 months ago and she is in a 6ft x 2.5ft x 2.ft cage (built by OH). The rescue centre advised not to bond her but this seems to have been misplaced as both myself and the vet have seen no sign of aggression and the vet said she would do well with a friend (I am of the same opinion). I had her spayed 2 weeks ago and she is doing well. On sunday I came home with 2 more rescues - (long story, and for another time) - a year old boy - which was the original plan, and a 2 yr old girl.

They are in seperate 4 ft x 2 ft x 1.5ft indoor cages at the mo and are booked in for jabs and neutering on the 9th - hence the seperate indoor cages - at different ends of the lounge.

The hope is to bond all 3. Is this practical? B is just having a permanent 10ft x 8ft run built. This is now going to be extended and she will not be going in it just yet in order to keep it a neutral space. Ideally I would like them all to share the same cage and the 14ft x 8ft permanent run (ie permanent access).

I have been reading the bonding threads on her - most refer to bonding pairs. B is 18 months. Is there a chance this will work? The only one I know to have been mixed at any time with others is the 2yr as she was given to the adoption place because they found they could not breed from her. The others have been solitary rabbits.

Reading my rabbitlopedia and some internet research did suggest slow introductions, increasing gradually, but I understand that people on here do not agree with that advice.

I would be grateful for input

Thanks

Hi :wave:

A few people on here have bonded groups so it its possible :D I think the best way to do it is make sure you have plenty of time to supervise and just keep them together ;) If you keep seperating them each time you put them back together they will start the whole I want to be boss thing all over again :lol:

I think it depends on the buns personalities but if your introducing them in neutral territory and have enough time and patience to keep an eye on them I think it has a good chance of working.

I would wait about 6 weeks after the male has been neutered though so his hormones have calmed down and he doesnt pester the girlies too much :lol:

Hello and Welcome! :wave:

I agree with Sillyrabbit about waiting at least 6 weeks - even though he's had his op he can still be fertile for that time :shock: As the girls have just had their ops too they will be sore for a little while as well and will probably appreciate some chill out time. Also it gives them a chance to settle in to their new enviroment and routines.

You could start by placing them all near to each other in their runs so they get used to the fact that there are other buns around. When we bonded pairs or 3 buns we used to swap them all around in the runs as well. You can also swap their litter trays (as long as they are all healthy).

Whether you do the bonding in one go or in several stages is really up to you. There are two schools of thought on this. Eg seperation means starting again or short spells are less stressful to the buns. To be honest I think it depends on the buns and on you. I would definately try all 3 together rather than a pair then adding the 3rd bunny later. Two may get on really well and have an almost instant bond that you are happy and trust in which case you will probably not seperate them. If one or more are fighting then you will probably will not leave them together for long.

Its great that you are finding out about all this before starting. If you use the search facilty on the forum you will find loads of threads about bonding as it's one of the most talked about things on here.

Do you know why the rescue advised not to bond? It's probably worth finding out. If they are experienced and have tried several times in the past.....:? It might also be worth chatting with your rescue to see what help they can give you. :D

Hope this has helped a bit,

Maria x

I have a trio (2 boys 1 girl) and I bonded them all in one go, over a three day period. It was actually easier than I anticipated as i thought my boys would go for each other but it turned out Fiver (Scouts original husbun) is a bit of a wuss and just let Marley muscle in on his girl. However it totally depends on the rabbits personality.

I wouldnt advise the slowly slowly approach for a group (not that I use ot full stop), chose a time when you have a few days free....can spare your kitchen or bathroom and just go for it.

Hello and Welcome! :wave:

I agree with Sillyrabbit about waiting at least 6 weeks - even though he's had his op he can still be fertile for that time :shock: As the girls have just had their ops too they will be sore for a little while as well and will probably appreciate some chill out time. Also it gives them a chance to settle in to their new enviroment and routines.

If the other girly is spayed too then fertility won't be an issue, but I would give wait 4 weeks post-neuter for his hormones to calm down. When I bonded my boys I found they were acting a lot calmer after 4 weeks so felt it was better to wait this period before bonding them (especially as they all came to me at around 6 months so proper hormonal boys!)

Back