• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Famous Catalogue Shop... hutches

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone seen in the new 'catalogue' for a certain well known catalogue shop that they have hutches and runs that are way too small for rabbits for sale?? I was really annoyed when i saw them:evil:

I saw them on 'offer' for £99.....but couldnt see the dimensions. Didnt look very sturdy though. :?

Actually, they're made by Pethouse,who made my 5' double decker and my hutch is amazing! Really sturdy and well built! I would recommend them any day x

I thought they looked a bit teeny, especially the one that said "suitable for guinea pig or samll rabbit" :evil: .

That's Argos' words though, not pethouse. Pethouse do bigger hutches - up to 6' but obviously Argos only want to stock the smaller ones:? I agree they are too small, but the actual quality of Pethouse hutches is fab! Mine double hutche is 5 x 2 x 2 each level and it will last years and years!

Amanda x

It might not do anything, but just wrote a letter to argos informing them that the hutches are too small for any rabbits. Also informed them of the new animal welfare act that came in, in April 07. They probably think i'm a loon like pets at home did when i complained to them but o well!

You should have a look at the stuff for rabbits in the Tesco direct catalogue, it's disgusting.

Good idea to write to them, I think I might just do that.

I can advise that we do take these matters seriously and have ourselves viewed the legislation made in the animal welfare act provided by the RSPCA. We advertise these hutches at the size they are only as a guideline, as it does depend on the requirements of the rabbit's themselves, which we hope any customers interested in these products, will consider prior to purchasing them.

Reply i had from argos.:evil:

pethouse does not exist any more the original owner sold it to another company

I believe they are Squires now :?

I've got two of their four foot drop (Hutch & Run combo) from when they were Pethouse and they are pretty sturdy, only issue I had with one was that it leaked at the corner.

One is three years old and still going strong and the other is coming up to two years old

I can advise that we do take these matters seriously and have ourselves viewed the legislation made in the animal welfare act provided by the RSPCA. We advertise these hutches at the size they are only as a guideline, as it does depend on the requirements of the rabbit's themselves, which we hope any customers interested in these products, will consider prior to purchasing them.

Reply i had from argos.:evil:

Well thats really responsible of them, I feel some pressure is needed

Old tread, but just got another reply so thought i'd share

Dear Miss Wolfe

Thank you for your recent email regarding the rabbit hutches sold in our catalogue.

Having looked into this for you I can confirm that the RSPCA state the below information:

'Most rabbit hutches sold in pet shops are simply too small. A home to two medium-sized rabbits should measure at least 180cm long x 90cm wide x 75cm high and with enough space for each rabbit to have its own sleeping area'

Therefore, I can confirm that we are within the guidelines to sell item 870/2575 as we advertise this as being suitable for small rabbits or guinea pigs.

I have discussed this matter at great length with our buying department who has read through Animal Welfare Act 2006 there is no size of hutch requirement rather the emphasis is on the individual keeper to ensure the welfare of the pet.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me or one of my colleagues on 01785 710211. Our office opening hours are Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm and Saturday 9am - 5pm.

Isn't there a new animal welfare act after 2006?

Back