• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lonely Bun Bun?

jennie

New Kit
Just wondering what people think of keeping bunnies on their own? I have just one bun but he shares his bedroom with three piggies. Do you think he feels isolated?
He's been living with one of the pigs since they were babies and I often see him grooming him. Pigs don't generally do this back and it makes me feel so sorry for him! Am I being mean? :(

Guinea pigs and rabbits shouldn't be together.:? In that case he'd be better of alone.
Rabbits may injure a guinea pig badly by accident, they could get sick by eating the same food and as mentioned, the rabbit may feel isolated seeing as the guinea pig has no idea what he wants them to do.

All my bunnies live on their own, as only one of them is neutered, and she's being chased around by my buck when they meet. The spayed doe snarled at the younger one, I haven't yet tried to let them meet without a fence between.

Your bun would be way happier with a companion of his own kind. I haven't heard my bunnies complain yet but Zakura seems happier now that she's got a neighbour (even though they don't live together) Aroma lives inside with me, but soon she'll be getting her own cage alongside the others too. With a fence between so they can see each other.

The only way your being mean is by keeping a guinea pig with a rabbit...rabbits can seriously injure, and even kill, a guinea pig with just a quick kick! Often accidently too.
Plus they cant communicate so your bunny probably is very lonely!

I've got 2 single bunnies and they seem very happy but they are right next to each other in their hutches and can sit alongside each other's run. I think house bunnies that get plenty of human contact and play can be very happy as single bunnies too.

However I'd never keep a guinea pig with a rabbit, as not only is their diet different but they can't communicate safely with each other - rabbits are boisterous, they stamp, kick and nip, and also rape, but piggies have no defenses and are quite timid, so I don't think it would be fair to keep the pig in a potentially dangerous situation - it's a risk I wouldn't be happy to take.

I think when you see a rabbit with another it makes you realise just how much they need company of the same species. The only time I think keeping a rabbit alone is OK (but not best) is when he is indoors with plenty of space and plenty company of the human kind.

I would also echo what has been said about keeping rabbits and GPs together.

Last edited:
We have 2 buns that live on their own. The intention was always to put them together, but for various health probs it just hasn't been possible yet.

They both live indoors (1 downstairs, 1 upstairs) Pam works from home, so they always have company. I'm sure their quality of life would be better with other buns, who knows some day we may have the circumstances right to try them together - or at least int he same room with a divider.

Martin

I have two single buns at the moment because bonding hasnt worked out :( They both seem happy enough though and there is always someone here while im at work giving them attention and spoiling them :lol: I think they should really be kept in pairs or groups though because they are social animals, I love watching my other two grooming and cuddling :D

My single buns wont be alone much longer though, even if I have to get more ;) :lol: I think I would only keep a bunny on their own permenantly if I tried them with quite a few other buns and they really didnt seem to want to know :D

Thanks for all your comments!

I will assure you I am aware of piggy/rabbit problems and I’m very careful when they’re together. He’s only left unsupervised with Moggie because they’ve been together all their lives and I’ve been lucky enough to have had no problems at all. It wouldn’t have been my choice to mix them – they were a gift and at the time I didn’t know any better. Fortunately Wilf is very small (there’s some dwarf in there somewhere!) and Moggie is a very big boy so they are very similar in size and are both very placid.

I happened across Frank and Kismit by accident. I had it in my head to get both boys a friend of their own kind but was worried about space. Unfortunately I clapped eyes on Kismit whilst buying sawdust and, as his name suggests, it was simply meant to be!

Do you think I should move Moggie in with the pigs once they’re bonded then? Wilf and Moggie are so close to one another, they snuggle together and everything that I’d worry about Wilf being left alone. Obviously when space allows I’ll aim to find Wilf a friend!

I'm assuming all 3 pigs are male and unneutered? It's very unlikely they will get along as a threesome - usually pairs are best with boys (and even girls - my 3some is always squabbling). I can't really follow who is who as you didn't say what thier names were in your 1st post - is Moggie a pig? If the rabbit (Wilf?) is bonded with Moggie then he will miss him if you split them, so if you decide to do this keep them next to each other so they can still see each other and sit near each other - or maybe leave them together - you are the best judge and plenty of rabbits get injured by their partners too, it's just that a guinea pig is less able to survive this - how old is the rabbit?

Back