• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why Did You Choose The Rabbit(s) You Have?

KarinB

Warren Scout
http://www.rabbits-online.co.uk/Rabbit_Colours_Info.htm

If you look at the rabbit on the right under 'Smoke' and then the rabbit on the right under 'Otter' - they are the two rabbits we looked at when we decided that we wanted a lady friend for Smudge and we bought the 'Otter' coloured one - my O/H chose her because she was £5 cheaper than the Smoke one.:oops:

Last edited:
I didn't choose my rabbits - hadn't even seen them at the point where I agreed to take them in! :lol:

Well let me see. I picked Zakura out since I loved her colouring. Out of a litter of 5 she was the only one who had the exact same colouring as her mom (chestnut aguti) and according to the owner, this was the first time that female had produced such a kit (and the last.:rolleyes: She had a broken chestnut aguti later she never had another full-coloured one, probably since she was only bred to Zakura's father once)

Sasuke I got since my mom "forced" me to get a rabbit from my school if I wanted another rabbit at all:roll: Originally I wanted a castor rex female, but of course Sasuke's mom (who is in fact Castor) got 5 blacks and an aguti blue:roll: The blue doe was sold very early on so when I was allowed a second rabbit, all they had left was 2 black bucks from the first litter and one black and one dalmatian buck from the second (there were two females who gave birth within a month's time. They were mother and daughter so Sasuke is the "uncle" to the younger litter) I don't really fancy dalmatians, besides the school planned on keeping that one, so I picked one of the older black rabbits.
There were several reasons why I picked the older ones instead of the one-month-younger ones (Sasuke was 3 months, the other 2 were 2 months)
One was by a tip from my friend, that seeing as the younger litter's parents were both dalmatians, they had higher risks of getting white hairs in their fur (takes points of shows) the other was that Sasuke was older, and would therefore be able to go into Rabbit Jumping contests sooner. It was just before summer so if I picked the younger ones I would have had to wait untill authour before I could start.

For Aroma, I had wanted a brown sable rex for ages, but they weren't easy to come by.
Once I had gotten permission to buy a third rabbit, I asked on a norwegian rabbit forum if anyone had one. I heard it was hard to find rexes of that colour in my area, but luckily one breeder had some.
She had one brown sable which was so dark it was almost black, I wasn't really all too keen on a doe which would look almost identical to my buck but she also suggested buying her sister, which was also sable but not brown.
I went back and forth for weeks, wondering of which one to pick, I eventually chose the second rabbit. The next day I got horrible news.
The kit I picked out was dead:cry: And the rest of the litter were also looking poorly, shortly after the brown sable died as well.
I was assigned to an older doe, which the breeder decided to keep for a while longer since she was a little skinny. After waiting for weeks and weeks for that one, I was contacted a third time. I got the news I had been fearing. This kit had also died. Third one from the same breeder.
Although I was rahter devastated the next day I put up an add on the forum again, and got two replies very quickly. One had castor rexes, the other the bunny I had been looking for, brown sable.
Unfortunately both were living very far away, then my friend (the same one who had adviced me to buy Sasuke over his nephew) contacted me and told about another breeder in my area who coincidentally was getting a rabbit from the same rabbitry.
I contacted her, and asked if she had room for an extra rabbit. No problem:D
Even more unbearable waiting afterwards I finally got my baby :D

Aroma is the only rabbit I've got who wasn't born at school. That has it's logical reasons even though they have gorgeous rexes (I've already fallen in love with quite a few kits there...) but I wanted a doe for breeding (and I don't want to be told of about that again, I HAVE thought this trough, a lot, and don't lack experience), preferably sable as Sasuke's father was sable.
The school has (or at least had before summer break:roll: ) 5 rexes. 2 does and 3 bucks.
The odler doe is Revenge, Sasuke's mother, the younger one is Revenge's daughter and Sasuke's half-sister Astica.
Then there's Sasuke's half-brother from a later litter, Black Beauty, and the the very same dalmatian buck I turned down before getting Sasuke, Astica's son Idefix. All in all the only rex we had that ISN'T related to Sasuke in any way is Asterix, a dalmatian buck. So needless to say all kits born at school will be related to Sasuke in one way or another:roll: +As Asterix is our most used breeding male (the only one actually as the other two are related to both the does) most of the kits are dalmatians, and as mentioned I don't like Dalmatians:lol:

Whoa this was a long post:lol: Wonder if anyone will bother reading:roll:

I think that most of my rabbits chose ME!:lol: I have three Dutch because I just LOOOOOOOOVE them SO much! And three Giants (2 French Lops and one Continental Giant) because I also ADORE big buns, and they have SUCH fantastic personalities! Several of them I rescued from appalling circumstances, or had given to me because their previous owners just couldn't be bothered with them any more. A couple my husband brought home to me......he really DOES know the way to my heart!!!!!:D And a couple I adopted from Eastbourne rescue (a bonded pair, mother and daughter, Dutch X's) as I absolutely fell totally in LOVE with them the moment I saw them!!!!!:D :D

I usually fall in love with the personalities. I only chose 3 of the 7 I had.

Not choose
My lionhead gave birth to 2 baby lionheads
My mini rex was the last one at the breeders
My harlequin was my cousin's

Choosen
My palomino was adopted from the RSPCA
My lionhead and a first rabbit were chosen from the pet shop

I picked marsha because i love black rabbits...

it was a lucky guess as i wanted two ladybuns...

I didn't choose lilly, she chose me, i stuck my hand in and she came to me... i have to admit... i went to a pet shop but im so pleased with my two, and i wouldn't change them for the world x

I seem to go for the very naughty or very nervous ones (and mostly the ones that have expensive vets bills as well!) Also I love lops. Paula and Trevor I didn't pick as they are fosters, but they have super personalities and are both very handsome too, and Paula could eat for Britain if we let her. I've never known a bunny enjoy their food as much as she does, she's so sweet, she'll chase you down the garden for a strawberry or a few bran flakes! :D

I got Benny and Pepsi because Cheryl said they'd been in rescue ages due to their 'boring' brown colour, and also kindly offered to deliver them to me as I had no car - they are/were the sweetest natured little bunnies! :D

My 5 girls were a group I'd admired for months on the rehoming pages here, but it wasn't till Pepsi suddenly died and I had an empty shed and a very sad heart, that I found room for them! I loved them as all my favourite colours were in one group, and I liked the idea of a big group too - they are lovely girls and so nice to watch interracting together, although Maa's seperate now :)

Tia my nethie's not on my sig now as she sadly and suddenly dropped dead at Christmas :( I chose her because Benny wouldn't bond with the 5 girls, and I'd always had in my mind that I wanted a nethie - so when Angie posted her sooooo sad story here I knew she was the one for me - and I didn't even know what colour she was! She was so sweet :)

Well we were in a butchers of all places and one of the girls working there said do you want a rabbit? So both me and my sister got one we both chose black so that they matched :D

I got Georgie because I wanted to breed lops but then learnt (and it is a good thing I did) that lops have to have their first litter before a certain age and I didn't want to risk losing my darling Georgie or the kits

Esther x

I chose Buu because she was being pushed round a garden center in a trolly by some kids :shock: :roll: And she was beautiful ;)

I didnt know anything about Trip or Scarlett when I said I would have them.

And Beau because he looked like such a lovely bunny, and was so skinny I just wanted to feed him :shock:

The only one of my buns who I set out with any set Idea of who I wanted was Marley.....I wanted a Dutch buck and he was being bullied by his brother in a pet shop, hence his ripped ear :cry: and why I felt the need to rescue him.

This is going to be complicated...

Of the bunnies I currently have, this is why I have them (not sure I'd say I 'chose' them exactly):

Smokey and her daughter Abby were from a rescue as companions for my widowed buck.

Winston came as a companion for my beloved Sh*tty who recently passed away.

Crunchie was from my local Freecycle, and I didn't even see her before I agreed to have her.

Flapjack and Honey (or Beastor and Ferris Wheel as they've been renamed by my O/H :roll: ) and their offspring were unwanted pets. Again I didn't see them before I agreed to have them.

As Forrest Gump would (probably not) say...'Bunnies are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get' :lol: :lol:

I didn't, I'd been nagging and whinging about wanting one and my bf had said no way then arrived home earlier than expected on valentines day with a big bunch of flowers, I went to greet him and he told me to be quiet and pointed to a carboard pet carrier. I fell for him instantly. The best present ever. :D

I didn't choose mine. I got Inky because a friend who helped at the rescue centre recommended me, I was looking for a bunny and they had this tiny Dutch Dwarf cross that needed a home. I had already said I would have him but I just fell in love with him the moment I saw him!

I got Smokey because Inky needed a girlfriend(his partner had just died) and her partner had just died. They just loved eachother from the first. I remember going to pick Smokey up and she ran over to me to be fussed, it was like she knew I was her new mum.

OK, here goes....

Bunny....not chosen, he was a private 'rescue' (previous owner - my sister couldnt keep him due to moving home, and the 'friend' who had promised to care for him hadn't)

Flossie....chosen (from a pet shop) as a partner for Bunny, I knew he needed company, and as RSPCA wouldn't rehome to me as I had young children (no home check, just a straight NO) and I didn't know about rescues. There was no real special thing I looked for, she just looked lovely and very confident, which I needed as Bunny was very timid.

Daisy, Maisie and Taz........not chosen, they were free ads bunnies (Mum Daisy and 2/3 week old babies). Collected from Cleethorpes.

Trinny....chosen because I saw her pic on RR and fell in love. Thanks to Donna ARC for letting me have her :D

Smokie....chosen by Trinny :lol: :lol: :lol: She wasn't accepted in the group and so Jill (Honeybunny) came to my house to do a bunny blind date, Smokie was the winner :D :D

I got Jazz from my mums friend, he chose me I was going to get his sister but he kind of chose me, by licking my hand :lol: so thats why I have him. I chose Gizmo becsuse he was suposed to be a dutch but he and his brother were grey, Gizmo has a white nose and a white foot the rest of him is grey so thats why I chose him because he is unique:)

I love my boys :D

He is stunning, I love the pics that you have of him

Aww thanks, he's becoming quite the poser!

I got Bobbin from a breeder, if I had previously know about rescues I would have most certainly adopted a bun from one, I did alot of reseach between choosing him and taking him home and it was during this time that I found out about rescues, by which point it was too late and I was already in love :D and I now have Bobbin and wouldn't change him for the world. In the future if I wanted more I would definately adopt :D

Back