• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hot Topic: Occupying a Rabbit

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Scamp is driving everyone a little insane. He's very very active and very brainy. And when he gets bored he gets in to trouble. He's currently trying to dig his way through a tea tray so he can sit in the potato rack (he like's to commune with the potatoes... :lol: ) I'm sure I'm not the only one with a little monster.

So, make your suggestions for how to occupy a rabbit, I'll try them and whoever occupies him the longest wins :lol:

I don't think we'll survive waiting three days for postage so it has to be things you'd find around an average house.

Tamsin

I had a rabbit once who loved running back and forth through 'curtains' (actually a cloth hanging from a string strung under a table)....

I had a rabbit once who loved running back and forth through 'curtains' (actually a cloth hanging from a string strung under a table)....

That's a good idea. He loves the curtains when he's out ... I'll get him a spare towel!

Tam

You could join lots of different sized/shaped boxes/tubes together with different shaped holes cut in each- would be like a burrow!

big tub filled with dirt with treats hidden in to 'forage' cardboard boxes all attached together to be explored and nibbled etc could also hide treats in closed boxes or eggboxes and let them get them out :D

Move your furniture round in the house and he can go round re sniffing everything because its been moved - ok thats random but Bambi would always know when I have moved stuff around :oops:

Stuff loo rolls with hay and treats right in the middle maybe? Erm its a hard one cos I couldn't occupy Donkey as he was so norty and active whereas my other buns are quite lazy or live with friends so dont need amsuing so much :lol:

The curtain idea is a great one - they all seem to love that. Empty loo rolls filled with hay? Cardboard box to demolish...:D

Loo rolls stuffed with hay are good. The rabbits that I am looking after seem to like chewing a newspaper up into little strips.

You know the dispensers you get on top of liquid detergent bottles (like Persil)? Like a ball with a hole cut out?

Rosie loves chucking one of those about :D It's got a rim so it's easy for her to pick up and toss.

I've pegged up a towel and filled an egg box with treats.

He has a treat ball but he's pretty fast at chasing it around.

He's got a cardboard box too which he has remodelled - that definately get thumbs up.

I'll track down some toilet rolls next :D

Rather than just a treat ball, buy him a buster cube. It is designed to keep dogs thinking; inside there are lots of passages and chambers, so every time it gets knocked the food falls into a different one, therefore the animal never knows when the food is going to come out. Whereas conventional treat balls, once they have worked out how to push it a certain way, thats it, all the food falls out!

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?ma...id=473&zenid=a973b567ad398b9c00230613bb99a458

this is an excellent price too, and he would only need a small one!
x Jess

I used to put a pen on the floor in front of the benjamin... and he would pick it up and move it out of the way, so i would put it back in front of him and he would chuck it, and this would go on for ages.

I also gave them a old t-shirt or skirt and put that in front of them and they would dig it and shuffle backwards...

This was when they were house buns.

simple but verry effective for gizmo newspaper spends hours just ripping it up and enjoys it loads!................................................oh yeah and chewing the carpet which incurred some cost!:lol:

Sofa, skirting boards, the walls, his hutch- they're all the things he shouldn't have that amuse him! He's not really interested in the things he is allowed and needs quite a bit of encouragement with them.

Back