• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long generally to bond bunnies?

kelzuna

Warren Scout
How long does it usually take - i know all rabbits are different.

What are your top tips for a successful bonding?

It took me 5 hours to bond Inca with Jester.

But took me 3 MONTHS to bond Ruby and Radar.

I think it depends on the rabbits. You really can't predict how they are going to react until they are actually together, thats the scary thing. :roll:

My tips are:

work with space.

keep rabbits hungry and then offer their favourite foods!

don't push the rabbits to bond. Work at their speed. For 2 months by giants were only happy to share the same yard but not shed...

Always, always end on a good note... So the rabbits associate the other rabbit with a plesant time/experience.

watch for body language. Ears back, tail up, ready to lunge - prevent it from happening, distract them or part them before fighting has a chance to break out.

I agree with Lea-anne, space is really important.

I also find it's better to do short periods of time often, rather than trying to shove them together for hours at a time. I also like to put obstacles in where they're bonding, that way they can get glimpses, without confronting eachother.

It took about 1 minute for Inky and Smokey to bond, they just loved eachother at first sight!

What are the signs they are happy together and bonded...no fighting etc??

Sorry about silly questions :shock:

The best sign is when they start grooming....it means they have accepted each other and sorted out who is boss.

We put them both in a neutral run (or kitchen if it rains) with some food, 2 hidey holes and toys and sit with them armed with a water spray in case they fight.

Its normal for them to chase, mount and pull fur......if they nip or lunge or vocalise in a growl give them a spritz with the water......if they grab each other by the head and hang on, kick or cause injuries to each other then stop, its the clearest sign you can get that they are probably not meant for each other.

I tend to leave them together continually from day one so bond when you have free time to watch them, at least for the first 3 hours. After that if all is well they can be left but checked on every 30 minutes.

They can usually go into a (neutral) hutch by night fall and I watch them for 30 minutes after this as its normal for chasing, mounting etc to start again. If its too rough I put them in the kitchen for the night.

By 48 hours they are usually living in the same hutch and within 3 to 5 days mist coupoles have started grooming.

My longest bond took 3 weeks but I never seperated them once I started, if they fight and you break them up then put them back together the last thing they remember is that this horrid bunny attacked them....so they get in there first.

Hope this helps.

Back