• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutered male - unspayed female?

kelzuna

Warren Scout
Neutered male - unspayed female?

Would this combination be ok? The vet said it would be fine?

Any experience of this? Or do they both need neutering?

Best to get them both neutered - an unneutered male will pester a female and annoy her, but an unspayed female will be at risk of uterine cancer when she's 3+, plus she may develop hormonal aggression/territorialness, and have phantom pregnancies which are quite stressful for buns.

Inky and Smokey started like this. I had to wait for Smokey to settle in before she was spayed and oh my goodness, it was a nightmare when she became hormonal! She pestered Inky all the time and had phantom pregnancies, it really was awful.

Getting your female spayed will spare her this and probably save her life when she gets older.

The rescue I got my girls from pairs up all it's rabbits like this, and they seem fine - I think it depends on the personality of the rabbit though. I have 4 unspayed girls living together very happily, although they do get frisky and make nests in springtime.

I remember reading once that fake pregnancies may highten the risk of ovarian cancer even more. And putting her with a neutered male DEFINITELY makes phantom pregnancies appear more frequently. My female got it all the time only by living next to a buck (surely he wasn't neutered but still...they never met) and it got really annoying. She turned even more aggresive than usuall and I kept feeling sorry for her, the nests looked so cozy..yet they would never be used:cry: The closest she had to a "baby" was a small stuffed animal, which was usally ignored. After that I had her neutered and never had that problem since.

Back