• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits & sulking...

casu consulto

Mama Doe
I know rabbits can sulk. But this isn't like normal sulking.
I adopted a second rabbit on Saturday. She's a young, lionhead cross, spayed female named Amber. My other bunny, Barney, is now into his third day of being able to see her, but not being able to get too close.

At first, they could see one another from their hutches. Barney, at first, looked completely shocked, and sat pressed against the mesh, with his ears back. After an hour or so, he relaxed, his ears came up and he was staring across, whilst eating hay and washing himself. Amber had been very curious the entire time. Yesterday they were both in the garden, in two rabbit runs placed next to one another. Barney was very, very interested in Amber. He'd follow her to and fro, and then bite at the wire mesh to try and get through. Amber, although aware of him, sometimes pretended to ignore him. Which meant Barney had to do big jumps over his brick, and his tunnel. In the evening, our neighbour, and my younger cousin came to see Amber. Usually, they all make a fuss of Barney. To try and make sure he didn't feel left out, I remained sat by his run, cuddling him.

This morning, he's been behaving strangely. For a while, I thought he was going into GI Stasis. This often almost happens when he moults, and he's only just coming to the end of his moult. But he had eaten all his pellets over night, nibbled some hay from his rack - although normally the rack is empty by morning - and didn't want his morning veggies. I sat outside cuddling him, then set the rabbit runs up again. At first he sat out there, hunches behind his brick with his back to Amber. Amber was trying to get his attention by hopping on and off a blue igloo thing she has. My mum told me to go out, because he's normally the most affectionate towards me. When he DOES go a bit GI Stasis-y, I can tell how serious it is as he won't lick me. I went out and asked him what was wrong, and he stood up, hopped in a small circle, and I could see he had done about 8 little poops.

He IS eating grass, and he HAS eaten a bowl full of pellets. He's moving without a problem, his tummy feels normal. I'm just wondering if he's sulking over there being a second rabbit stealing some of the attention he normally receives? Can rabbits get jealous? I'm trying so hard to make sure he's getting cuddled. But I'm not sure other people are doing the same... I'm sure when my family go out there, they're making more fuss of the new rabbit... which is understandable, but I'm not sure Barney likes this. :(

I know what you mean.

I'm looking after 2 rabbits and a guinea pig (don't ask) for someone while they're on holiday. They have their own run and hutch, so the first day I put them on the patio, a good 10-15 feet away from my lot and my two and the visiters were fine.

The next morning, Inky (my male) went ballistic, stamping his feet and looking very upset. Peace has only returned since I moved the visiters to the bottom of the garden, I'm worried because I can't see what they're upto but it is preferable to Inky being upset.

It's really strange because Inky is usually very friendly towards other animals, whereas Smokey (who hasn't bothered at all), is usually the one who dislikes other animals.

Barney seems to have gotten over his 'sulk' now. :rolleyes: He's been lying by the side of his run nearest to Amber's run, and she's been lying next to him, albeit with the mesh separating. And when disturbed, he instantly went into showing off mode, which involves lots of flinging things, and jumping around, or on things. He just hates being ignored.. I think. I hope.

Sounds like a bit of the green eyed monster!!! dont worry harv was like that when we got the other 2 bunnies and he tried sulking, then attacking/humping the other 2 bunnies.

Now he is more used to them being around us he comes and plays too!

Back