• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet bum

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
One of my male fosters was a complete sprayer before he was neutered. He's a white dwarf lop X with helicopter ears - proabably a couple of years old.

He was neutered about 5 weeks ago. He is a hutch bun, but is lose for a minimum of 6 hours a day & gets additional garden time 2-3 times a week.

He eats Excel, but to be honest, he isn't bothered, & will leave some - he eats about a desert spoon worth a day. He loves hay & gets daily veg, but nothing new, & he's been here some time. He's not overweight. He's moulting heavily, eating normally.

He has used his litter tray since he got neutered & I change it every evening. On Friday night, his backside was wet - no poos, just wet. I cleaned him & dried him off. Saturday morning - same thing. I'm changing his tray 3 times a day now, & have given him 2, in the hope he'll sit in the other - he only uses one, but he's had a wet bum morning & night since Friday.

He's seeing the vet tonight, but he's eating normally, lively during run/garden time. What's causing this? I'm drying him off, & I've started putting sudocrem on him, cos concerned about urine scald, but why would he start doing this?:(

It sounds as though he may have lost the ability to 'feel' when he has a full bladder :? This can be a symptom of neurological damage done by EC.
Is he drinking more than normal? If not then I doubt its a Kidney problem.
If he had a wee infection its likely he may appear to be more 'unwell' within himself.
If your Vet suspects EC a course of Panacur will be prescribed (must be at least 28 day course at a dose of 20mg/kg)
The Vet may test his wee for infection and if it is present, which from the symptoms you describe seems unlikely, abx will be given.

Hope he gets on OK at the Vets :)

Janex

Could be a urine infection..or an early sign of EC....is the urine particularly smelly?

Edite Jane and I posted at same time..however Jane's answer is ,as always more informative!:lol:

Cheers guys - TBH he's usually one spraying bun - & his wee stank until neutering. So it smells less than he used to but more than my other buns.

I'll let you know how he is after vets tonight - just like to know what to expect/what I should ask:rolleyes:

Back