• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny eye problems and fighting

halon

Warren Scout
Hi,

I have three bunnies who I got from a rescue centre a few months ago - they're about 8 months old now. One of them (Merry) has weeping eyes. Sometimes you can see a bit of whitish fluid around his eyes, and often the fur below his eyes is stained. I took him to the vet's soon after I got him; she checked him over, asked about his diet, etc, and said he seemed healthy and it was probably a dust-allergy. She gave us some steroid eye-drops which I gave him for the recommended time, but they didnt work too well and when I stopped using them the problem was still there.

So basically I've been wondering whether it really is an allergy or whether I should take him back to the vets. The hay I use is supposedly dust-free (but not sure it really is). His eyes do seem to get better sometimes on their own and he seems very healthy and happy otherwise. Occasionally I've also noticed his brother, Pippin, sneeze, although I've never noticed the other two sneezing. Is this normal? Did my vet give me the right advice or should I look for a different vet?

Also I've noticed that they occasionally fight. I think pippin, the smallest is usually on the receiving end. There's a little bit of growling, and some fur pulled out of the bum, but that's it. Then they're all happy again and grooming each other. Is this just sorting out the pecking order or should I be concerned?

thanks

Could be pasturella, have you looked inside the lower lid? Does it look red or sore?

Threes do not always work well as one tends to get left out or bullied. Assuming they are all neutered at 8 mths? I'd keep an eye on the situation and if it escalates remove the smallest and repair him with a neutered female.

ht

Last edited:
I think the vet looked under his lids but I will have a look. Meb hates having his eyes looked at and I just want to cause him as little stress as possible.

Yes they're all neutered. I cant imagine separating them at the moment - they've been cuddled up most of the day cos it's too hot to run around. I will keep an eye on them though.

I looked under Meb's eye -he was really annoyed! - it looks kind of whitish with red vein bits and a bit pink. I looked at one of his brothers and his eyelids looked exactly the same. There hasnt been so much weeping lately - I think it's getting better. I am thinking about getting them microchipped when we move to Bristol so I think I'll get the Vet to have another look at him then.

Good idea. Would recommend getting the back teeth checked as well, but sometimes you know they just have runny eyes. Hopefully the other buns will clean it for him, this does help. It is hard sometimes my pairs fight (normally when another pair is in the vicinity!) but then they get along just fine. Hopefully with yours it's just a scuffle and will sort itself outself. Helen

Back