• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really Worried

jennie

New Kit
Hi, I'm completely new here but I am so worried I was hoping someone could advise me.

I have just noticed my bunny, Wilf's eye is very swollen and bulging out with a pin ***** pupil. He seems worried by it as he was nipping at me when I tried to look at it which is not like him at all. He's an indoor rabbit, very pampered and I swear it wasn't like this yesterday. I've not been in his room much today so I don't know if it came up over night. I have to confess I fed him rather quickly this morning and didn't stop to look at him closely.

He's only 18 month old and has always been the picture of health. What could this be? I'm so worried I'll loose him.

Maybe an eye infection? Sorry I dont really know but im sure someone else will :D Think I would pop him to the vets if it was me :D

If his eye is bulging badly and he is in pain then You really should phone a vet for advice. Hope he's OK

Hi, I'm completely new here but I am so worried I was hoping someone could advise me.

I have just noticed my bunny, Wilf's eye is very swollen and bulging out with a pin ***** pupil. He seems worried by it as he was nipping at me when I tried to look at it which is not like him at all. He's an indoor rabbit, very pampered and I swear it wasn't like this yesterday. I've not been in his room much today so I don't know if it came up over night. I have to confess I fed him rather quickly this morning and didn't stop to look at him closely.

He's only 18 month old and has always been the picture of health. What could this be? I'm so worried I'll loose him.

Could he have sustained a puncture wound to his eye?
Is it just the one eye?
If not and both eyes look puffy, has he been vaccinated against Myxomatosis?

Is he eating and pooing? If not he is probably in considerable pain and you need to contact a Vet TONIGHT

If he is eating and pooing then I'd make an appointment first thing in the morning. He may have an abscess behind his eye, but whatever the condition he needs Veterinary attention

Please keep us posted

Janex

Yes he needs a vet tomorrow morning first thing, if not tonight - sounds like an abscess behind his eye, or glaucoma, which is very painful for them. My bunny Maa lost an eye last year and she manages fine with just one eye, but it needs urgent treatment if you don't want him to lose his eye.

I'm taking him to the vet first thing tomorrow, work will just have to accept it!
He's still scarpering around so I guess that is a good sign. As for eating it's hard to tell, he goes back to his cage at night and is always grumpy about this and will sulk in his hide-away for a good half hour. I'm checking on him obsessively though.
It's comforting to hear they can have comfortable lifes with just one eye but I really hope it doesn't come to that - I can't bear to think of him suffering.
Thanks for your replies, it hlps to know other people care.

Hi Jennie. I forgot to say "Welcome to the forum". I'm glad you've come along to seek advice and support. There are loads of very helpful and knowledgeable people on here, and generally speaking we are a friendly bunch who were all first timers at one time, so never ever feel awkward about asking a question..we've all been there!!

welcome to the forum =] hope you find a cure for wilfs eye =[ the help you will recieve here though is endles =]

Thanks, it's good to have somewhere to turn when I get worried about my boys. He seems to be eating - there's a healthy dent in his evening vegetable bowl.
Have added a little pic of my Wilfy. He's difficult to photograph as he's all black and won't stay still. Needless to say he's way more beutiful in person.

Welcome to the forum, Jennie!:wave:

I really hope that the vet can sort the problem with Wilf's poorly eye out tomorrow. It's SO worrying when something isn't 'right' with them, isn't it? It's a very good sign that he is continuing to eat well. DO let us know how he makes out tomorrow!!!!!

Just got Wilf back from the vet and it's good (ish) news. It's probably conjuctivitus, which is at least reletively easy to treat. The bulging has gone down loads and the pupil is almost normal sized.
He's back in on Wednesday though, just to be sure. The vet couldn't examin him properly because he acted up a treat! No biting but he crawled under my hair and refused to come out!
Right, now he's had time to calm down I'm going to try and get his eye drops in!
Thanks for listening:)

VERY pleased to hear that it doesn't seem to be an abcess!!!:D :D :D

Sending TONS of Get Well vibes to Wilf!!!! XXX

Back