• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My babies have mites! Feel U/D It's just dry skin!

Just been out in the garden grooming the buns and have have found lots of dandruff/flaky skin on the back of both Bob's and Abby's ears! I can't believe I haven't noticed this before and I feel really guilty! How can they catch them? I clean the litter trays out daily and sweep and disinfect once a week..am I doing anything wrong?

I am at the vets tomrrow for their annual booster so shall get them treated then but I feel really terrible :cry:

Last edited:
I wouldnt feel bad! I had a rat once who got mites, and all we could put it down to was it must have been in the bedding or shavings(yes i know now that there bad for them)that i got.

I guess they can come from a lot of places, but now that you know you can get them treated stright away!:D If you left it for weeks then you should feel bad!

Aww don't feel guilty. Ben had mites, the vet said they can pick them up from their hay.

Could you pm which vet you use? Wonder if its the same as mine.

Please don't feel bad, mine had them recently too and they are well cared for and totally spoilt! All rabbits can catch them, especially if they do have access to outside.

Well, we're back and it's not mites...vet did a scraping and thinks it is dry skin or maybe a slight yeast infection, so gave me some hibiscrub to dilute and bathe their ears twice weekly.
Phew!
Thanks for the vibes :D

Back