• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thank you and a couple of questions

Apache

Mama Doe
Alfred was a bit off colour yesterday afternoon, and wasn't interested in food - very unusual, so I took him to the vets and he was diagnosed with stasis (which he's never had before), the vet injected him with metaclop, and something else I didn't catch the name of, along with sub cut fluids.

By 10:30 he was still no better, so I did a search on here, and decided to give him some infacol (which I'd bought having seen it recommended on here for in 1st aid kits), and tummy rubs, I also kept encouraging him to move around too. He still wasn't any better by 12:30 so I gave him another dose of infacol, and 45 mins later he sat up and started to groom himself, his tummy was gurgling very loudly, and he began to eat for the first time in about 9 hours.

He was then quite lively, I must have dozed off about 3am, but woke up at 4am, to find him snuggled up next to me :D

I'm sure it was the infacol that did the trick with him, and if I hadn't read about that here, I think the outcome could have been quite different.

He seems more or less back to his normal self, he is eating plenty of hay, although choosing fresh stuff over pellets (which is fine). I know I'm going to have to watch him really carefully for the next few days, but if anyone has any tips for dealing with buns after stasis, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again

Ax

I've found infacol to do the trick if my bunnies are playing up!
I'm a paranoid bunny mummy and their meals are spilt into three, so I can keep an eye on their response. If they refuse 'normal' food, the first thing I do is tempt them with a pineapple tablet/ herbs/ dandelion leaf. If that doesn't work, I then go on to the infacol, tummy rubs and water routine ( as well as to get them moving around the run). I do this twice (every hour), then I add some recovery food into the mix. They are usually ok by then. If not, then it's a vet job.
The only problem with the above is if there's a blockage, but my experience with my vet is that they will advise me to do the above first before taking them in.
After care wise, I just get things back to normal, and make sure they eat lots of hay and some dandelion leaves.
I've also noticed that mine have tummy problems if their routine is changed at all, so I keep to the same foods at the same time of day. They also seemed to have a spate of it when they were moulting, so regular grooming seems to be a good thing too.

Thanks Helen, thats really helpful, I've had Alfred over a year, and hadn't encountered stasis before.

He hates being groomed, and I'm guesing that is probably the trigger as he is moulting quite badly at the moment, I am brushing him as best I can.

He seems to have recovered really well - touch wood - and at the moment is lying full strecth on the other sofa (probably hoping he can sleep there again tonight, instead of his usual place in the kitchen).

I've been and bought some pinapple juice today, and will make sure I always keep some in when he's moulting.

Thanks again

Ax

Thanks Kathryn, I was very worried about him, but thankfully he is back to normally cheeky hooligan self today :lol:

Jx

With moulting and pineapple juice it has to be fresh not long life - I get bromelain tablets from holland and barrett instead as they are easier to store and give (my bunnies love their pineapple sweeties!) - I give one tablet every other day when they're moulting - they are a bit suspicious of them at first but they love them once they've tried them - it's the same enzyme as in fresh pineapple juice :)

And well done with the infacol - great nursing! :D

Thanks Elve, I'e got some of the oxbow pineapple & papaya tablets, are they are good as the H&B ones?

Also how many of the H & B ones do you give? It will be much easier for me to pop into H&B when I need some more ;)

Thanks

Ax

I've never tried the oxbow ones - at least I can eat the H&B ones too though :lol: I give my bunnies one 40mg tablet every other day when they're moulting - they do contain sugar so just use them when you need to :)

Back