• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice needed please help update

MopsyMops =]

Warren Veteran
Mopsy went to the vets today =] evrything was fine - the vets says she is very fit and healthy and not over weight =] she shocked me by saying that most rabbits she sees are either over weight or got long teeth at the back because of lack of hay and veg =[ ( Mopsys were fine by the way hehe) any way i asked her about the neuturing which i was thinking about here the other day....... she said that because she is 4 there might be a risk she asked if there was any real reason that i wanted her done i said no apart from the fact that she keeps having fantom pregnancies ( having one now =[ ) and that she always gets a little sad but the thing is though she is having them abot every month even in the winter =[ =? anyway she said that ypou could either have her done OR get a neautured male to put with her he will mate with her which will make her think that she is pregnant? is this right? i don't know i need help =[

if that is right chinook there might be a home here for you yet =]

update === right i have thought about this long and hard and i think i am going to have her speyed =] thank you for all the help=]

Last edited:
oh. I hope someone can come along who knows a bit more, where's Jane?!
But i don't want to alarm you I just reread, please someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I'd read that repeated false pregnancies could be an indication of uterine cancer?
I really dont mean to alarm you though. I may be wrong :?

omfg don't worry you haven't alarmed me not much but the vet saw her today and we told her that but she didn't say anything =[ thnx for continually writing on here i really appreciate it =]x

I don't think that would be fair on the rabbit - my rabbit Pippa had phantoms and would sit there looking for the babies and just couldn't understand why there weren't any so to mate her up on top of that would be in my opinion unfair

If it were me I'd find a rabbit savvy vet and get her spayed - there is always a risk but with a good vet the risk should be low, or leave her unspayed. I certainly wouldn't be mating her up with a neutered boy and in any case my neutered boys very rarely do anything anyway

that was what i thought at the time but i don't want to put any unneeded stress on her because i am thinking about getting her a friend =] x

Personally I would have her speyed, my girl was speyed at 2yrs and she was pulling fur out and having phantoms every 2-4wks!:( Plus I couldn't get near her... I would find a vet who is rabbit savvy and have it done, but that is only my opinion:?

yes i think i might still go for that option after all she is a very healthr bunster so that is on her side =] do you think afterwards she will be ok for bonding?

If you are looking for a good vet in Berkshire, Greenfields Rescue uses Kynoch and Partners, if you look at this page http://www.greenfieldsrescue.co.uk/links.asp and rund down to the vet link they explain a little more about their recomendations. If you are outside their area Lorna would be able to make recomendations if you are unsure about your vets ability to neuter rabbits.

I would get her speyed - she is still relatively young. A good vet should be able to do it with out any problems.
I've never heard it said that a neutered male hlps with phantom pregnancies :? But .. a neutered male would still probably be a good step for her :D

thank you all so much for helping me x =] really appreciate it x =] it did sound a tad weird to me to apperently it causes them to reflex making them think that they are pregnant =? i am phoning the vets tomorrow prob and booking an appoitment for her =] spacegirl i really want to bond her with chinook fromthe thread 7 bunnies dumped in stories and photos. don't know what my dad would say can you suggest some reasons why this would help Mopsy thnxs

Bonding any rabbit with another rabbit they are happy with is an excellent idea, wild rabbits are social animals and in live in groups together. Domestic rabbits are very similiar in their desire for other suitable rabbits they are happy to live with.

By going to a rescue they will assist you to find a suitable partner for your bun and will help you with the bonding and will offer you continued support and advice if you need it. Many good rescues will have rabbits which are already neutered and vaccinated looking for a home. Lorna at Greenfields has an excellent team of helpers who may be near enough to you to help. Otherwise there is a list of rescues on http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp where Berkshire and surrounding areas all have a list of rescues, many of whom may be able to help you.

I agree with what Janice has said :D
Rabbits are sociable and would choose to liv ein groups in the wild. They can communicate perfectly with each other, and they LOVE to groom and be groomed :D I also like the fact that outdoor rabbits will have someone to cuddle up with in the winter. Quite often bonding two rabbits can also help improve problems, like a timid rabbit bonded with a more confident one can often improve.
I have several bonded groups and pairs and it is so rewarding seeing them interact with each other. They often cuddle up when they're sleeping and some of them will literrally follow each other around :lol:
I would definitely recommend it!

thnx spacegirl for the advice and recommendation =] i think dad will be ok with it. i am looking for the right bun. we haven't had Mopsy neutured and i still haven't made up my mind full yet. the vet didn't seem truly confident about it perhaps i will look around abit. if she is spayed will this backfire of getting a neutured boy?
thnx for the help =]

well i have to say being someone who lost a bunny to uterine cancer at around 5 get her spayed as it does sadly happen ( her sister was spayed and is now 9.5) also not sure bout the phantoms poor thing, i would have thought b spaying her it would be kinder as she would not keep lookin for babes. it might still be nice to get her company and a neutered male often works well as a boyf. but i really think a good vet should be able to do the op ( though they are right the ollder she gets the more risk of anessthetic so choose a vet you trust.! ) good luck let us know

Back