• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

homechecks, if unsuitable how do u refuse

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
ive got 2 giants called alice and murphy, someone came last week and was interested in them, well i did the homecheck last saturday their enclosure was not fox proof they had the tiniest play house couldnt of bn bigger than 4 foot:shock: i know that alice and murphy wouldnt be happy there as here with me they have my shed and when possible free reign of my garden.
How is the best way to tell someone its unsuitable
by phone
while doing the homecheck
or by letter
i dont very often have to fail someone after a home check, i really felt they wanted alice and murphy as trophy,s not as beloved pets, all my bunnies mean to much to me to put with people that really do not have a clue
any suggestions on how to let people down gently is appreciated :)

I would ring them and tell them why they failed because they may genuinely what to care for them and may invest in a bigger house. I would want to be offered the opportunity to ask why I had failed.

I would give them some signals during the homecheck itself. If the hutch is too small just ask when the bigger one is being delivered..ditto the run. As you leave just ask them to give you a ring when the larger accommodation is ready to be checked over by you.

I would tell them why so they know where they have gone wrong as they might not know as much as we do about bunnies :D I know I didnt when I got Buu :D Maybe you could ask them to do their research and contact you when they have more knowledge and understand the care that bunnies need. And just explain why you homecheck and what they need to do and learn about before you will do another one. Or you could give them this website, if they really are serious about it im sure they will come on here and learn as much as they can :D And if they dont then you were obviously right ;)

homechecks if unsuitable how do you refuse

Thet seemed very niave, at first they wanted a group of rabbits, i explained it wasnt that easy that bunnies needed neautering etc and even them bonding a group would take time, thats when they asked about the giants they were more interested in their size. the enclosure was a good size but a fox could easily get in to the bunnies they were not prepared to cover it and they,d just bought the playhouse so i assume they wouldnt be prepared to get a bigger one, the enclosure was on a farm behind a big barn,so it isnt a situation that you could see the bunnies all the time

If they weren't prepared even to put a lid on the run then I'd have absolutely no qualms about saying no to them.

I WOULD JUST TELL THEM THAT THE RUN NEEDS TO BE MORE SECURE...TELL THEM WHAT YOU WOULD WANT IT TO BE LIKE ....POINT OUT THE PLAYHOUSE ISNT BIG ENOUGH FOR THEM BUT MAYBE SUGGEST THAT WHEN THE RUN IS MODIFIED THEY CONTACT YOU SO YOU CAN RE CHECK AND YOUD THEN MAYBE CONSIDER THEM FOR A SMALLER PAIR .

MUST ADMIT I HATE HAVING TO CRITISIZE ...ITS AWFUL HAVING TO TELL SOMEONE THE LOVELY SET UP THEY HAVE ISNT REALY THAT LOVELY:roll: ...BUT NO POINT HOMECHECKING IF YOU DARNT SPEAK OUT IF YOUR NOT HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU SEE . ;)

What sort of dense person doesn't know (even if unknowledgeable, i was b4 i joined this forum) that rabbits need a covered place to play as it is dangerous. :roll:

yeah. Sounds like they weren't up to much huh?
Dunno if it helps but I always feel bad for refusing anyone anythng (dunno y! :? ) but I try visualisation!!!!
:lol: Seriously though, I'd picture your two special giant buns living there. Its wrong, right? You know its not right for them, you know its not the kind of home they deserve. So just keep that image in your head when you either compose the letter to them, or call or whatever, by all means list things that would need improvement etc or just say you think they should do some more research first. But either way I find holding an image in my head like that helps me to stay firm and focused to what you believe i best for your buns, regardless of what they want.
Sorry don't know if thats helpful or not! I'm in a bit of a rambling mood this evening! Think its cos the mumbun we got from London. I was just sitting with her this eve and she's really only just starting to look like a normal happy bun now, not exhausted and underweight etc, she's really looking recovered now and I feel a bit emotional about it! :oops:

My Giants run is just over four feet high, and very substantial as it was actually manufactured for dogs!:shock: :lol: But it is snugged up right against the back of my house on the patio, and I put mesh like is made to go over fish ponds over the top of it. I would be VERY leery of putting bunnies behind a barn where I couldn't even SEE them :? .....and I would also be worried as far as the owners were concerned that an 'out of sight, out of mind' scenario could possibly develop.:(

Ditto!!!!
A big fat no - would do it ....
but in all seriousness I would explain all the reasons and then say but if you are willing to fix all the problems then you woulc come back and check them again.
Do you think that they will go out and get a pet shop bun now ? or do you think they might actually do something about it... annd I agree that you should get them to do some more research.

and if you still have giants in a couple of years time - then I am coming over for some.! - I am getting a new house and the owner has already got a massive shed and run and everything. :D

I would point out why they have failed, if the current faciliites they have would be suitable for anything (with modifications if needed) and what they would need to provide if they wanted to rehome the giant rabbits. Also informing that they need to get back to you when they have reviewed things and got the necessary faciliites to provide something they are looking at.

If you think they only want the bunnies as trophys and not beloved pets i would not be prepared to let them have them.

It's no good just saying no, you have to explain the reasons in a bid to better educate them about the animals needs.

Back