• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits+ Guinea pig (on holiday with me), separate?

FriskyClover

Warren Veteran
Hi!

I'm looking for advice/opinions. BTW I know rabbits and guinea pigs shouldn't live together, I would never do it myself.

I'm currently (arrived today) looking after 2 rabbits and a guinea pig for someone I work with, for 2 weeks. She has brought them in a single story hutch, which although it is quite big, it doesn't give the guinea pig anywhere to escape to.

The rabbits are quite small (although obviously larger then the micro piggie), however, although the female is spayed and quite quiet, the male isn't neutered and is , ahem, rocking the kasbah with the female at every opportunity. I've yet to see him try it on the piggie but I fear it is only a matter of time.

Personally, I would like to put the guinea pig in a separate hutch at night (although still able to see and smell the rabbits), partly so he gets some peace but also so I know he has eaten something besides couple of mouthfuls of hay. Frankly, he seems quite worried by the rabbits.

What do others think, can I separate them overnight? I'm going to talk to their owner about getting another GP and putting the pair in a separate hutch. I'm also going to tell her to get Casanova neutered.

Well if you seperated the 2 rabbits overnight, what do you think would happen when they were put together in the morning again (apart from humping) - I would guess any seperation would cause them to attack the piggie when it returns too :(

This is really a bad way to keep even the rabbits - the male must be neutered or eventually the female might attack him, and if she doesn't she must feel pretty miserable anyway. And as for that poor piggy :cry: Short of stealing him I don't see what you can do though - if you put a pigloo in there it would probably get tossed over by the rabbits anyway.

I would tell your friend he was getting attacked and take him out of there. Okay so it's not the whole truth but it's better than him getting attacked isn't it. She will have to get him a piggie friend when she gets home won't she.

If I separated my lot overnight, they'd be fine but I have very special bunnies (they were total love at first sight).

I know it's a terrible way to keep rabbits and I'm going to talk to their owner about it when she comes back. This whole situation is due to P@H 'advice'.

I just feel so sorry for the piggie. If there was a bit more space in the hutch, I could put a wood tunnel in for him to retreat to. At the moment, I've got the hutch inside a run, the rabbits are out enjoying the sunshine but the pig is hiding inside. :cry:

I would definitely have adviced them to get the male neutered and give the GP a hutch of its own with another guinea pig.
I myself have a neutered female and a un-neutered male and I could never dream of putting them in the same hutch as the situation is now:shock: The few times they meet up he ends up chasing her and humping her. She's never attacked him, but the chasing can't be much fun for her:cry:

I agree100% with kylie. I would take the piggy out immediately and tell the owners that he was actually attacked(miraculous healing powers!!) and then launch into a speech about un-neutered males pestering females and the potential for HUGE vet bills should the female turn on him.

I agree100% with kylie. I would take the piggy out immediately and tell the owners that he was actually attacked(miraculous healing powers!!) and then launch into a speech about un-neutered males pestering females and the potential for HUGE vet bills should the female turn on him.

I would say you have been lucky that the poor piggie wasn't injured just shaken from his ordeal:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh I also noticed the girl was growling at the boy so you may want to get him neutered.

Believe me, I'll be speaking to their owner when she comes back.

I've had to move them to the bottom of my garden because Inky caught sight of them this morning (even though I'd done my best to screen them off)and was unimpressed. I've got another hutch, which I'm going to put the piggie into.

I just can't believe that you would get your girl spayed but not neuter the male, it's bananas! Even more so, I can't believe you would shove a guinea pig into the middle of them. It wouldn't be so bad but he is really tiny and seems quite worried by the rabbits (rightly so).

Back