• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Damp hutch

heleni

Warren Scout
The rabbits' hutch seems to be getting damp for some reason. It's up on one layer of bricks, then there is the ground floor, which is getting damp along the floor on the back wall. The hutch itself has no bottom so we have put in a layer of plywood, and it's that which seems to be getting wet. The board doesn't stick out at the back, so I can't figure out why water is getting in and why only on that side. That side is sheltered (against the house but with a gap of about a foot). the front where rain is more likely to get in seems fine.

Any thoughts on how to improve this, as their newspaper seems to be soaking up the water?

I thought it might be urine too the first couple of times I cleaned the hutch, but they have two litter trays that they are very good at using (high sided) and there is damp wood in places where the paper is still clean and dry.

you could try running some mastic along the out side edge. this would stop water getting in the joins. did this on the hutch we have and it stoped the leaks

Back