• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ok I give up!

I can't work Charm out!

He is STILL lunging at me every so often!

He's neutered so it's not that.
It's not that he doesn't like me because he does love to snuggle up ever so much.
It's not that he's getting confused by other animal scents, there's only my piggies and he's used to them, but they're in the other room.
It's not that he's angry about being in his cage because he's mostly in there of his own free will.

But when I go to inspect his bowls or top them up he will lunge for me! He's ok with my hand in his hutch so long as it's comming to fuss him.

My dad thinks that his previous owner may not have fed him enough so he's being over protective of his food now that he's getting enough of it or something along those lines but I honestly don't know! So now I'm just going to focus on ways to feed him without being attacked instead of why he's doing it and hope that time will sort it out.

What do you lot think?

2 food bowls put one in as hes eating that one take the other away sly i know but it should work or scater feed so no bowl or a treat ball agine no bowl should work fine

I agree with Kim - ever since I got bitten by an otherwise friendly bunny, I have used 2 dishes - put the full one in, take the empty one out. They don't need a 'top up' on food dishes as they should only be eating a handful of pellets morning and night, unless it's a baby bunny.

I think rabbits can sometimes be a little territorial over their stuff maybe :D Buu doesnt mind me taking her food bowl and will sit with me while I clean her hutch but when I give her new toys she doesnt like me removing the old ones and grunts at me :D So she has loads of chewed up toys in the closed of part of her hutch, I just take them out when she is playing in the garden a couple at a time ;)

If hes ok with being stroked in his hutch then put your hand in, stroke him and with the other hand take the bowl away. A trick I have used with various bunnies over the years and it never fails.

Aw, Ive had a few bunnies with food aggression.

Have you tried feeding him outside of his cage? With some of them its linked directly to territory so feeding in the 'communal' area can help. If thats not a possiblility I have found gardening gloves and perseverence help too!

If hes ok with being stroked in his hutch then put your hand in, stroke him and with the other hand take the bowl away. A trick I have used with various bunnies over the years and it never fails.

He'll lunge at me if I put another hand in and the size of the door which he lays infront means I have to put my hand in front of him so even scruffing him and holding hm still means my skin is still there.

Aw, Ive had a few bunnies with food aggression.

Have you tried feeding him outside of his cage? With some of them its linked directly to territory so feeding in the 'communal' area can help. If thats not a possiblility I have found gardening gloves and perseverence help too!

Well when he's out and about in the bedroom he doesn't realy eat he goes back in his cage for that. I evn took his bowls out of hi cage and put them at the other end of the living room and he won't touch them. He went back into his cage and lookd dejectedly where his bowls should be. Eventually I put the bowls back in before I went to bed that night and he devoured the contents. They were out all day so he must have been hungry but he just wouldn't even try.

Back