• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im stuck with bonding again

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Can anyone tell me if this is ok please? They have been doing this all night, going up to each other with their bums stuck in the air sometimes they are fighting and sometimes they just stay that way until one moves or one of them spots some food on the floor. Sometimes they walk past each other and touch noses but sometimes they are sitting not too close and will just lunge at each other. I have broken up quite a few fights :( And then they just both flop for a bit then will suddenly get up and have another one.

I cant tell if they are going to get on or not :? I have brought new litter trays, toys, vetbed, a pen and boxes for them to jump in which neither of them have been near before but they are still going for each other when one picks something up or tries getting in the litter tray. We took a car journey last night, does anyone think its worth taking another one today? They are fine in the basket together while its being carried about.

I havent been to sleep yet and a few hours ago started feeling a cold coming on and my neck is killing me, I just want to go to sleep for a bit :( Im feeling all sorry for myself by the way :oops: :roll: The main reason I didnt continue with bonding these two last time was because I hadnt slept in 4 days and just couldnt stay awake to watch them any longer and I just know the same is going to happen this time :cry:

Also im sure you all know that they can sound like elephants running about upstairs. Well with fighting, running about and playing the noise was terrible :shock: They were smashing into the side of the pen and making a right noise, the girl next door whos bedroom is on the other side of mine was banging on the wall last night obviously because of the noise and I really dont know what to do now :cry: Obviously I am going to go and say sorry in a while but I cant move them anywhere else in the house :(

Meant to say, no bunny has actually been injured x

TBH I do think there is a point where we say a particular bonding is not going to work. Personally I dont believe in forcing the issue if after days of trying they are still fighting. After all humans dont like everyone they encounter so I dont feel its right to make a Rabbit accept another Rabbit that they obviously dont like ie sustained aggression for several days.

I know many on here will disagree with me and may give you their take on the situation.

Good Luck, I too am into a bonding attempt. Day 4 and still in 'stand-off' mode :? :roll:

Janex

Thanks Jane, I agree with you actually. The only reason I have kept trying is because there is mutual grooming going on (well there was last time when they were together the 4 days) and they were cuddling and stuff between the fighting. And the fighting isnt even that bad, its just chasing each other round and kind of jumping on each other before flopping together. I would let them just get on with it as they arent actually biting or pulling fur its just the noise they are making at night that worrys me most when they are charging about like that :oops:

It looks to me that they both want to be the dominant bun and neither wants to back down :roll:

I wont force it and I am pretty close to giving up just not sure what to do then :? The only shelter over here offers no bunny dating service, its pretty much take a bunny and hope they get on :? After telling me I would get some help from them with the bonding I was told by their rabbit expert when I asked for help to keep them apart :roll:

Good luck with your bonding Jane x

Well I think if they are seperated for any time after being introduced the bonding has to start all over again :?
How about leaving it for a few months. I believe bonding can be slightly less stressful if attempted in the winter as even neutered Rabbits retain seasonal fluctuations in 'hormonal behaviour' ie they are more feisty in the Spring/Summer. If you could arrange having a good week or so clear to enable you to put them together and not seperate them at all day or night unless a bad fight breaks out.

Gawd, I cant believe that I am giving BONDING advice :shock: I am HOPELESS at it :roll: :lol:

Janex

:lol: :lol: :lol: You cant be as hopeless as me! :lol: I was just actually thinking I might wait until I have come back from holiday in September and book a week off in November or something to try :D It will give me more time to find some more neutral territory too :roll: :lol:

In spite of what's always said about splitting them up, I know some people do let their bunnies 'play together' when they sleep seperately at night - maybe they'd be OK with this way of life? It sounds like they're exhausted too so I doubt they feel like being sociable. I of course have never tried either the bonding or the play time together approach, as I'm too much of a wuss, but I do know some people have because I've always been a bit astonished at the thought of bunnies kept seperate at night but together in the day - It goes against all the advice I've heard! I guess eventually they might get used to each other and be able to live together, and meanwhile you'd get some sleep and not get in trouble with the neighbours :)

may be move them back into the carrier at night time a sim sure they will soon be loved uo if they are oonly jumping at each other my 2 are still doing this after 5 days together im hoping they will settle down soon but i did move them out to the shed witch seamed to work for some strange reson

I have put Buu back outside, she was getting a bit stroppy and Beau started hiding from her and she really doesnt like being in the house anyway.

Im not sure letting them play together and then seperating them would work too well with mine, they have all lived all over the house now and im pretty much out of neutral territory so they would just end up humping or chasing each time. My mum thinks we should give them a break and try again later in the year, and try to find somewhere else to do the bonding :lol: I think thats one of the main problems, Buu has pretty much had free run of the whole house for the last 2 and a half years and even when we get back from their car ride im sure she knows she is back at home.

I have a whole load of mess to clear up then im gonna go to sleep for a couple of hours :lol:

may be move them back into the carrier at night time a sim sure they will soon be loved uo if they are oonly jumping at each other my 2 are still doing this after 5 days together im hoping they will settle down soon but i did move them out to the shed witch seamed to work for some strange reson

Dont really want to have them shut in a small space all night as they are used to being able to run about whenever they want :D Also they wouldnt be able to get away from each other if they wanted to :D

I don't think that sounds too bad really Becky, compared to how I know some bunns can be :shock: .

Rowan and Audrey had a couple of terrible fights at first and I really had to hold my nerve. I left them on neutral territory for 3 days and they were all loved up after that.

I don't think that sounds too bad really Becky, compared to how I know some bunns can be :shock: .

Rowan and Audrey had a couple of terrible fights at first and I really had to hold my nerve. I left them on neutral territory for 3 days and they were all loved up after that.

I dont think its too bad either as I have seen them getting on and they arent actually hurting each other, just annoying each other I think :roll: :lol: Its just finding the time thats the main problem really, and I feel awful that the girl next door was probably up all night listening to them jumping about and making all that noise. I know they are going to need to be kept in neutral territory at least a week or so, Im going to need to find somewhere else really. Plus im not feeling great I think Im getting a cold :D

I was pretty much stopping them everytime they jumped about to keep the noise down so probably just made it worse than it was :roll:

I think if they arent hurting each other maybe eventually they will get bored of fighting and live quietly with one another.

I know it sounds awful any many people done agree with this but could you maybe split your other pair and bond buu with scarlett maybe and Trip with Beau? I know it seems cruel but if it means you have 2 couples again and dont have to get extra accommodation would this be an option you would consider?

Buu is the girly and Beau the boy ;) Buu and Scarlett would never bond, these two really dont like each other :lol: And Trip used to live with Buu but I split them up as he was bullying the poor girl :cry:

I dont mind getting extra accomodation if I have too. Im still looking for somewhere to live and as soon as I find somewhere I will be getting 2 sheds hopefully and wouldnt mind also having an indoor pair if they dont get on :D I have been thinking about adopting another 2 when I move even if they do get on :D And when I do move I will have the neutral territory :lol:

My main worry if they dont bond is actually finding them partners if you know what I mean. The rescue I got Beau from told me they would help with bonding if I needed any neutral territory or anything because I checked before I got them (they just answered yes to all my questions about it) but when I asked for the help they didnt even know how to bond rabbits and told me it would just be easier to keep them apart :? And when I asked about the neutral territory they said I could bring them both up every day for 10 minutes, but I might aswell be driving them about for 10 minutes.

I dont think its too bad either as I have seen them getting on and they arent actually hurting each other, just annoying each other I think :roll: :lol: Its just finding the time thats the main problem really, and I feel awful that the girl next door was probably up all night listening to them jumping about and making all that noise. I know they are going to need to be kept in neutral territory at least a week or so, Im going to need to find somewhere else really. Plus im not feeling great I think Im getting a cold :D

I was pretty much stopping them everytime they jumped about to keep the noise down so probably just made it worse than it was :roll:

Hmmm I know just what you mean about the noise- like a heard of fighting elephants! :lol:

I'm sure it'll work out in the end. It's the shame you don't live here cos I'm sure someone would help you x

Hmmm I know just what you mean about the noise- like a heard of fighting elephants! :lol:

I'm sure it'll work out in the end. It's the shame you don't live here cos I'm sure someone would help you x

Especially Buu :shock: You should see the way she throws herself about :lol: Its noisy enough when she does it downstairs

Thanks, I know I said to my mum before there are loads of people on the mainland who could help us :lol:

Awwww well if you dont mind taking your tally up to 6 then thats wicked :D :D :D You have to have a black bun and a dutch :love: :lol:

i know putting my 2 in the shed worked wonders as both had never had free range of an 8 foot shed they are oput at the mo but still loved up

Back