• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat Scaring Our Bunnies

KarinB

Warren Scout
We have a large garden which our bunnies have the full use of. Up until recently, we had chicken wire along the tops of all our fences (now it is only on two sides of our rear garden as we had to repair one of our side fences) and we also have two sonic cat deterrents but about half an hour ago my daughter got such a fright when she saw a neighbour's cat on our rear fence (where there is wire mesh!!) and she ran out and frightened it away.:cry:

Unfortunately Daisy was in the garden at the time and she had obviously seen the cat as she was lying very flat with her ears down but we assume that when my daughter went out, clapped her hands repetitively and shouted, this would have also scared Daisy, who is a bit of a cautious bunny at the best of times.:shock:

Do any of you suffer from cats worrying your precious bunnies and, if so, do you have any helpful tips to try and stop it happening?

I wouldn't give buns free range of a garden because it's virtually impossible to keep cats out and if they can get in so can foxes.

Perhaps you could section off the end or side part of your garden to form a big enclosure. Use the fence for two or three sides. Put fence posts up and mesh across them to form the other sides and mesh the top.

Tam

I wouldn't give buns free range of a garden because it's virtually impossible to keep cats out and if they can get in so can foxes.

Perhaps you could section off the end or side part of your garden to form a big enclosure. Use the fence for two or three sides. Put fence posts up and mesh across them to form the other sides and mesh the top.

Tam

They do have a run but have always been used to being in the garden.

O/H complains about the amount of stuff in garden as it is (i.e. tyre, cardboard boxes, willow basket) so I don't think he would be too chuffed about turning one half of our garden into a rabbit enclosure.:roll:

Yep, I agree, a water pistol or just chuck a cup of water at them...... though I'd be more worried about foxes, its only a matter of time before they pay you a visit.... something I know all too well! :(

I have a large metal panel run for my lot. You can move it around easily and it folds up to be really small. You can find them in the rabbit rehome offers bit.

We have a cat that keeps coming in and passes fleas to the bunnies :roll: And it attacks us so we cant even stick a frontline on it. You could try a spray bottle filled with water, do you know who the cat belongs to? You can still let them play free range in the garden as long as they are always supervised :D

we use water. those that have been soaked haven't been seen for ages but next doors cat doesn't learn. its the daftest cat ever that can hardly keep its balance on the fence. it keeps coming in the garden but as soon as you open the back door it legs it to the bottom of the garden and up and over the fence.

If not you can apparently buy lion poo/ wee from london zoo. one whiff of that and the cats will be long gone!

We have a cat that keeps coming in and passes fleas to the bunnies :roll: And it attacks us so we cant even stick a frontline on it. You could try a spray bottle filled with water, do you know who the cat belongs to? You can still let them play free range in the garden as long as they are always supervised :D

The cat belongs to a family two doors away - but how do you confront someone about it?:?

The cat belongs to a family two doors away - but how do you confront someone about it?:?

I would just knock on the door and say your sure their cat is lovely but he is scaring your bunnies, would they mind if you sprayed him with a mist of water when he is close to the bunnies. I know if someone came to my door and had a problem with Smirnoff going in I wouldnt mind them spraying her to discourage her from going in there :D Although I would only go and ask them that if you know they are nice people :oops: If they were scary I would just spray the cat anyway and not tell them :lol:

Back