• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

White mark????

armstronski

Young Bun
After spending time with the buns this morning I noticed that Bob had a white mark on his eyeball. At first I thought it was simply 'sleepy' in his eye. I have tried to wipe his eye but he doesn't stay still for long enough so haven't ruled this out totally. It also resembles a very small blister. Just wondered if anyone had any advice on eye conditions with buns. If it is still there tomorrow I will be taking him to the vet. He is his normal cheeky self, very curious and affectionate and still eating and drinking as normal.

Oh dear, that sounds like a cataract to me. Is his eye weepy or sore?

He needs to go to the vets, he may have an infection or worse it could be a symptom of E.Cuniculi. You should worm him with Panacur 28 days just incase.

Cataracts can spread and eventually cause the lense to become opaque, leaving a bunny blind.

The quicker you get it treated the better the chances of a full recovery.

X

If the white area is on the actual eye lens it might be a catarract. One cause of catarracts in Rabbits is EC so I would definately get him checked by your Vet. At least that will put your mind at rest :)

Janex

Sorry to butt in on your thread but what does rabbit "sleepy" in the eyes look like? Crunchie had a triangle of gungy film in the front corner of each eye last week, which I was worried about, but it went away quickly so I thought it might be sleepy stuff. My Abigail also used to get the same but never seemed to have problems with it.

Sorry to butt in on your thread but what does rabbit "sleepy" in the eyes look like? Crunchie had a triangle of gungy film in the front corner of each eye last week, which I was worried about, but it went away quickly so I thought it might be sleepy stuff. My Abigail also used to get the same but never seemed to have problems with it.

Third eye lid perhaps?

Just like people eye bogies :lol: but it shouldnt be there consistently as that could indicate an eye infection or some kind of irritation.

white mark

The eye isn't watery, inflamed or red. Just had a closer look and the white mark looks almost jelly like and is on the retina not in the eye membrane itself. Am going to have another go at cleaning his eye gently to see if it is 'sleepy'. Very odd.

:? If it dosnt wipe off I really would recommend seeing a vet ASAP to start treatment. Also dont use too much pressure, if its an ulcer it will be very sore.

One of my rabbits - Lily had an ulcer on each eye. I would definitely get it checked out as it can be quite painful for them. Lily used to sit with her bad eye half closed sometimes bless her. She's at rainbow bridge now..:cry:

Third eye lid perhaps?

I thought you were joking! I didn't know they had a third eyelid but google informed me that it's something to do with tears and keeping the eye moist. fascinating! Google images suggest that it might well have been that.

I thought you were joking! I didn't know they had a third eyelid but google informed me that it's something to do with tears and keeping the eye moist. fascinating! Google images suggest that it might well have been that.

My old Marley use to have a really obvious one and I think some of the larger buns have them that you can see most of the time. I did think after I'd posted, have I just made that up so I confused myself :lol:

Thanks for all of your advice, it is much appreciated. Just had another look at it appears to have vanished completely. Hopefully it was a stubborn bit of sleepy that has now gone. Amber his totally devoted girlie bun has been grooming his head and eye area so maybe she managed to budge it. Will keep my fingers crossed but keep a close eye on it (pardon the pun) to check it isn't anything sinister. Bob is my first bun (got Amber as a companion six months later) and am very protective of him so tend to worry probably more than I need to.

Picture008-4.jpg

Thats what Harleys eyes were like :cry:

For the OPs info though they dont cover the whole eye to start with, it ususlly spreads :?

Thanks for the picture, sorry your bun had to deal with that. At least I know what to look for but fingers crossed it seems to have gone.

Back