• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training tips?

kelzuna

Warren Scout
Trying to litter train Liquorice...he likes to go to the toilet on the landing upstairs!!!

We have two litter trays with the high triangular back in the corners he likes to most visit. I puit the same litter trays in his hutch when he goes to bed at night.

He will go in the litter trays brilliantly in his hutch no problems, but upstairs he will not!! He will sniff them, chin them and then wee right near them!!

Tried tempting him with his fave treats and rewarding him when he went in - but the treats just distracted him and he ran out even though i had the treats right there!

Any tips? Any success stories?

Do they have feaces/urine or dirty bedding in them when you place them on the landing?

No feaces, but i try to leave a little urine in there so he knows thats where he goes. No dirty bedding either...

Is that right?

He'll be a lot easier to train after being neutered. Charlie was good for so long then started to go beside his tray and I gave up knowing it would be easier after he'd had the snip now he always uses his litter tray, it was like someone flicked a switch, the minute he returned home from the vets, no weeing at me and no stray poops!

Buster is the same. In his cage he is 100% clean but out he wee's and poo's everywhere don't know what to do.:cry: :?

Maybe he is just trying to 'own' the landing by marking his territory. One of mine, use to jump on the sofa and it was "poo poo poo poo wee poo" then we'd get her off and I have never, ever seen her wee/poo anywhere else outside her cage. Yes, she is now banned from the sofa :lol:

thats funny...liquorice USED to also wee on the sofa - ive heard thats common. He was banned from the sofa and has learned not to do it now and so he goes upstairs!

Is he neutered yet? Just saw his age on one of your other threads:D He could be of that age where he is starting to spray & mark. It's easier to litter train a neutered bun.

We were going to get him neutered for that reason BUT the vet said if he's not spraying (which he isnt) he probably just needs litter training...

the vet said being neutered proabably wont change that behaviour???

Will it? Im confused?

Rory used to wee on the sofa. In the end I put his litter tray there, I slowly moved it nearer the hutch. I sort of did it like puppy training. When he did a poo, i used to pick up the poo, and Rory and place them in the tray. He soon got the mesage and is now fully trained.

We were going to get him neutered for that reason BUT the vet said if he's not spraying (which he isnt) he probably just needs litter training...

the vet said being neutered proabably wont change that behaviour???

Will it? Im confused?

It certainly did with Charlie! As for spraying he only sprayed once or twice then literally 1-2 weeks before he was due to be done he started doing it loads!

The cheeky little monkey has decided to defy what I said about him being good though. I bleached the paving slabs on the roof terrace as they were going a bit green so he's now re-marking his territory all over the terrace!

Back