• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

'BeetleBabe' Needs help!!

Thanks for this!

He has had some of his treat, but not sure if he ate all of his food last night, as he lives with his girlfriend...although it seems unlike her to eat all of the food.

He is poo'ing ok, but we have not seen him drink so far tonight, although again he isnt a big drinker generally.

If he doesnt improve tonight, he will be off to the vets tomorrow, but obviously want to check whether we need an emergency vet tonight, or if there is anything we can check.

Oops, Cross posted :lol: Still, I should stop interfering! :oops: If he's eating & poo'ing, thats a good sign....when you said he was grumbly, is that his teeth grinding do you think? Xx

He doesnt seem too bad in himself, and is back to wanting treats etc. Just sits with his head slightly tilted, and occasionally is putting the same ear down.

He also seems to be scratching it a little more than usual.

Victoria is taking him to the vets today.

Vet said it is either a parasite (not so good) or ear infection caused by something in urine. He has been given an injection to help the swelling on his brain. And he has some medicine to be given. This has also got to be given to Holly to try prevent her from getting it too.
Poor little man :(

Oh dear.....is it E.Cuniculi they mentioned? This is a parasite which is passed through urine by spores.

The ear problem could be an Inner ear infection which is treated by antibiotics. Is your vet treating for both.....eg prescribing Panacur (fenbendazole), Baytril and Metacam?

Hey, he said it was a mild form of VS (?) but did mention this E.Cuniculi as a possible cause, but as he keeps playing with his one ear, its most likley that its due to an inner ear infection. He was given an injection to reduce the swelling and to be on the safe side he has got medication to treat both types - panacur and baytril once a day for 9 days.

He still seems ok in himself - just a bit tilted, but not a lot.....so fingers crossed for my little man!

did they give you the panacur paste Victoria? The reason I ask is because, if Evo is being treated for EC with panacur, he will need the full months course of panacur, the paste is only a preventative hence it being 9 days;)

Yes he gave us the paste, both that and the baytril is only a 9 day course - are u saying that we need a bigger dose of this? Is there any other things you can recommend to help him or things to look out for? .... He hasnt got any worse but doesnt seem to be improving yet...

yes I am Victoria, the baytril is in case it is an inner ear infection, but if he is being treated for possible EC, Evo will need the 28-30 day course of the liquid panacur, the 9 day panacur paste will not cure him if it is EC as the paste is only a preventative measure ;) If you have any probiotic to put in his water will help while he is under the weather too or echancia tinture if you have no probiotic (think I was advised 7 days of 2 drops per day then two weeks of non if I remember rightly) if he is being treated for possible EC, not only does he need the months course of the liquid panacur but so does his girlie need the months course too to be on the safe side;)

Back