• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Colleague wants rabbit for the kids UPDATED pg3

Thea & Bobbin

Warren Veteran
I have a colleague who mentioned a while ago that his kids want a rabbit. I think his boys are aged around 4 and 6 :shock: My dilemma is this: I don't really agree with buying pets for children, at least not until they are 10 or early teens, especially small animals. Dogs and cats are better as they can defend themselves and are harder to pick up and consequently be dropped.

My colleague has mentioned it a few times since I got Bobbin. Whilst talking I have tried to drop hints and give my opinion, such as "they need cleaning out quite often", "they are generally not keen on being handled" etc. But today he mentioned it again and has asked if he can come round to my house with the boys to show them the rabbit to see if they really want one (fair play, at least he's not just rushing in and getting one from a petshop on a whim).
But A) I don't really want him to come round :lol: but didn't know how to say no, and B) how do I politely state my opinion on the small child/small animal issue?

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!!

Last edited:
down load some leaflets and shove them in his hand should work fine my kids arnt alowed near my rabbits ben the 11year old has a hammie oh there not alowed near the rats eather

harsh way..........

tell him to ****** off. No seriously say something like I was talking to my friend who got a rabbit for her kid at first the kid was like ah bless and stuff then it was a chore to clean her and stuff i'm not saying that yours definatly will do this bu they might do x =] x :lol:

There is an article here you could print: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/children.html

I think you need to emphasis the age rabbits live to e.g. 10 years and what the children will be doing at that point. To be honest not many 16 year old boys are interested in cleaning out a rabbit.

Why don't you suggest a visit to a local rescue instead? That way they can see the rabbits and get the lecture on housing etc.

Tam

OK, shoot me down in flames if you like, but my kids, 5 and 10, love looking after the rabbits. I am very clear that I take the responsibility for them, but both children help on a daily basis, rain or shine, and they are both, especially James, aware that the animals are totally dependant on us for their welfare.

It sounds like this person is taking a thoughtful and considered approach, and by asking to see your buns is doing more than just going to the pet shop, which, lets face it, would be very easy to do.

I would explain the benefits of rescue buns, point them in the direction of a local reputable rescue and wish them lots of luck choosing their lifetime furry companion/s.

There is an article here you could print: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/children.html

I think you need to emphasis the age rabbits live to e.g. 10 years and what the children will be doing at that point. To be honest not many 16 year old boys are interested in cleaning out a rabbit.

Why don't you suggest a visit to a local rescue instead? That way they can see the rabbits and get the lecture on housing etc.

Tam

Thanks Tamsin, that's great advice. I shall point them in the direction of the Rabbit and Guinea Pig Welfare in Rugby and the Rabbit Rescue in Northampton.

Does anyone know of any other rescues in the Northamptonshire and Warickshire area? Specifically we are in Daventry

OK, shoot me down in flames if you like, but my kids, 5 and 10, love looking after the rabbits. I am very clear that I take the responsibility for them, but both children help on a daily basis, rain or shine, and they are both, especially James, aware that the animals are totally dependant on us for their welfare.

It sounds like this person is taking a thoughtful and considered approach, and by asking to see your buns is doing more than just going to the pet shop, which, lets face it, would be very easy to do.

I would explain the benefits of rescue buns, point them in the direction of a local reputable rescue and wish them lots of luck choosing their lifetime furry companion/s.

Oh yes, I totally agree. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice enough bloke, but frankly I don't feel I know him well enough to have him over at my house, it's not that sort of relastionship if you see what I mean! With regards the children, I'm sure they are just lovely too :D and I'm in no position to make judgement either way on how his family will treat a rabbit, I just need to know how to advise .... not everyone is aware of what it entails. On the other hand it's nice to spread the word about bunnies, I'm glad if I can help them on the way to choosing a fluffy friend, I would just like to be sure that they have all the facts first.

to be honest, ive always had rabbits, i had them when i was little too, i was 6 when i got my first, and he lived for 4 years before having to be pts.

I think he needs to realise that they are as much his responsibility and that it will be him looking after them if they get bored.

x

I won't let anyone hold Buster never mind children. But I am an overprotective mother.:lol: Some kids are good with bunnies though.:D

I think I must be a bit of a hypocrite!!!:oops: I have had buns since I was a kid (and that's a LOT of years!:roll: :lol: ), and the whole time my kids were growing up, they handled my buns under supervision and helped me out. BUT...............I wouldn't want anyone ELSE'S kids handling my bunnies!!!!!:oops: :oops: That makes me sound AWFUL, doesn't it?!?!?:rolleyes:

As long as he understands that the rabbit(s) is going to be his responsibility to look after and take care of then I don't see any problem in him getting one 'for his kids' I had G-pigs and rabbits from about 7 and Although I fed them and spent the time with them my Mum helped (or rather I helped her) clean them out, groom them, chop up their veg etc.

I'm sure not many people are stupid enough to let their 4-6 year old be sole caretaker of a pet and if you get the kids caring while they're young it might stop them becoming ignorant teens and adults.

If you don't want him coming to your house just say you're rabbit isn't very people friendly and suggest he goes to a rescue. :)

Thanks for all the great responses and opinions.... I love this place!! :D

I have printed some articles about rabbit care and rabbits with children and the addresses of the rescues in our area. I shall give these to him and suggest that if they went to a rescue the kids could see all the different sizes and types of rabbits available.

I'll will keep you updated........ hope he dosen't join the forum and find this thread :shock: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again, everyone

I'd try and get them to adopt a rescued pair that are already neutured to avoid the adolescent aggression that puts a lot of people off rabbits. Let them know that they can be hard work and need to be looked after properly, the likely problems that arise and that the children should be taught how to 'handle' them properly. I have two cousins who are 6 and 9, the 9 yr old chases the cats and consequently hate her and the 6 yr old gets fussed by the cats because he lets them come to him, I think thats important for kids to understand.

Whats the issue with Children having pets? i think pets are great for children, if they have a responsible parent that assumes responsibility for looking after the rabbit.

I got my first rabbit aged 8, and because I had a younger sister it wasn't fair for me to get one and not her, so she had her first aged 3 or 4. I looked after both rabbits, fed them, watered them and cleaned them out. There was 1 day that my Mum told me I'd forgotten to feed them before I went to school so she'd done it for me - I felt SO guilty and cried my eyes out -and never forgot again. My sister loved playing with Pipkin so would play with her and handle her regulary while I did the main looking after as she was obviously too little. The hutches were padlocked so that we couldn't get the rabbits out unsupervised - my Mum had to be there, she had the key.

My Aunt breeds and shows rabbits so her kids have been around them since day one and consequently had their own rabbits very young. Natasha in particular is very good with them, confident at handlng them, even if she picks one up thats a kicker it can kick and struggle as much as it likes and she won't drop it - even if shes getting scratched to pieces she just says 'ouch'. She cleans out the hutches herself (takes her AGES mind you :lol:) and grooms the rabbits herself and has done for years and is even learning to sex them (shes right about 80% of the time!). Oh and incase you're wondering how old she is - shes 5.

I think giving children pets teaches them a sense of responsibility and how to be less selfish because they have to care for something else - and in todays society thats something alot of people need to learn.

When we rehome rabbits to families with children we emphasise that the rabbits are the ADULTS pet not the childrens. The adult should not expect the child to feed, water, clean and play with the rabbit but rather be offered the opportunity to help mum/dad with the chores.

The best way to teach a child proper pet care is to show them yourself......giving the pet away when the child is bored because the adults cant be bothered only reinforces the idea of a 'disposable pet' and its a lesson the child will cling to through life.

I have no problems with rehoming friendly and 'non-skittish' rabbits into families but make sure that the adults are aware that the children below 14 should NEVER carry the rabbit, and I reinforce this by showing them the vet bill I received for a broken rear leg :shock: That normally does the trick ;)

Incidentally out of my 2 childhood bunnies I took better care of the one I had between 8 and 11 than the one between 11 and 16 :?

Back