• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heh, thwarted again.

casu consulto

Mama Doe
I'm jinxed.
I really must be. I'm so disheartened that I'm now seriously considering selling the new hutch, the toys, the bowl and hay rack I bought.

Weeks ago now I started looking for a rabbit to adopt. I have one already, named Barney. Barney is a two year old, neutered boy-bunny who I adopted from a sanctuary nearish to me. So, I went there first asking about their spayed does. They had mostly males, and the females they had were either already bonded, or lionheads. Well... there was one lionhead female. I'm not a big fan of lionheads. :/ Anyway, there was a small dutch doe who was not for rehoming. We asked why and were told she was thought to be pregnant, but they didn't think she was at that point anymore and that she'd have this confirmed by the vet that weekend. We were shown, in the back room, her three sisters who were spayed and 'reserved'. However, we were told the homecheck for them was likely to be failed so we could have one of them.

When we phoned, that weekend, we were told the single Dutch doe WAS pregnant. Her three sisters had all gone to live in the pub garden we'd been told was unsuitable.

So, a half-hearted search on my part followed. I looked for rabbit rescue places in my area. The places I visited did not have what I wanted. Some had does, but these were not spayed. It's not that I'm unable to have this done financially... I could afford it. I just don't think I could deal with the stress. I suffer from anxiety disorders, and don't want to trigger it again. Another places had mostly boys. I want to make this bonding as easy as I can, so I want a spayed female. Anyway! I found an RSPCA shelter, and we were told they had a stray recently arrived who was black, female, and about the size of a dutch rabbit. She just had to be spayed. We had a homecheck, passed this and then waited. A few days alter we learnt she had been spayed, seemed fine, but died three days after. So the search went on.

We phoned the first place in the hopes they'd have more rabbits. They get new arrivals often, apparently. They at first said they'd had an angora [which I'll not even pretend to consider myself capable of grooming adequately...] and then that the first rabbit, the dutch doe, was NOT pregnant and we could have her as soon as she was spayed. We were told to phone last weekend to see how she was. We did, and were told she'd not been spayed due to the vet being very busy. We were told to phone at the end of this week. Today we got a phonecall saying she IS pregnant with three babies which are due any day now. We're told we can have one of the babies.

I'm only slightly angry. I mean, I know it's not anyone's fault. But being told we can have one of the babies? I originally wanted a rabbit when university ended for the year, so I'd have time to supervise the bonding between my rabbit and another. Now weeks have passed and I feel like I'm being thwarted at every turn. I don't want a baby rabbit which won't be ready for rehoming for at least two months. All I really wanted was a doe around 3 years or younger, similar size to a dutch... Who isn't a lionhead or a lop. I feel like I'm on some rollercoaster with this.

... if anyone reads all that, thanks.

I can't believe that out of the 30,000 rabbits in rescue you can't find a youngish, uppy eared, female bunny :shock: Just a look on RR should show loads - and many rescues are happy to transport them if you have no car - all my bunnies have been delivered very kindly by people working in rescue :)

Aw!! U poor thing!!! I hope you get ur rabbit soon...dont give up hope yet!:) I am sure Miss bunny must be out there for you somewhere! :)

Yep. Ther were some lovely bunnies there. However, they were either male, or unspayed females. :) Or, mostly lops. Some of the boys were ever so pretty..

Isn't Luna a lop eared bunny? I'm honestly not being funny, it's just that I strongly prefer uppity ears to lops... And, unfortunately, around here more seem to be lop eared as people find them much cuter, get bored and dump them in rescue centres.

I don't think I saw a rex. I visited a few weeks ago now...

Oh yes Luna is a lop eared hadn't realised..
I have Luna's brother here with me but he's an up eared bun and wonderful and affectionate boy..
The rex is up eared, have a look at her website..

It says she's being rehome through the Society for Abandoned Animals. I've read their requirements for rehoming a bunny, and I'm pretty sure I don't meet them. Firstly, it says they won't adopt out a bunny who will be an 'outside rabbit' on its own. Admittedly, I'm sure I've read they may make exceptions... but I'm not sure if they'd want to oversee the bonding process themselves. But also, it says they want an outdorr rabbit to have access to a run at all times. Mine doesn't. He's in a hutch in the back yard over night, and is carried through to a run on the grass every day. If I'm out the house, he's in his hutch. .-.

I think maybe you're not finding what you want because you have very specific requirements...Are you prepared to sacrifice temprement over looks? :? I'm sure if you got a lionhead/lop and got to know her, you'd love her as much as a bun that matched your criteria :) Xx

Back