• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Distressed grieving bun HELP PLEASE

wickedbun

Young Bun
To cut a long story short, I have been away for 5 days for work ( very unusual) and left my beautiful bonded buns with my husband. I have come home 30min ago to only one very distressed bun

My husband mentioned in passing that Boofy was off his food and I INSISTED that he keep a close eye on Boofy and take him to the rabbit vet if he still wasn't eating. I reminded him that buns can die really quickly when they stop eating.By the time my husband thought to take him to the vet it was too late and he didn't last more than a few hours. I can't believe it - Boofy was perfectly healthy when I left on Saturday and now he is dead. The emergency vet said that his lungs sounded terrible- that is all I know.

I went to see Misty as soon as I got home. She didn't respond to me at all. She stared at me with the whites of her eyes showing and thumped repeatedly! This is not my happy playful bun. She is terrified of me and is hiding in the laundry.

HELP! What do I do for my unhappy bun? How do I make sure she is healthy?

Hiya,

I'm really sorry to hear about you other bun :(

I think the best thing you can do for Misty is make her feel as safe and reassured as possible. Obviously you're upset and worried at the moment so she'll pick up on that. Move slowly when you're around her and talk to her. Make sure she has somewhere to hide if she wants and that her food and water and near by. You might find a soft toy she can cuddle up to would help or she may like a blanket or jumper that smells like you to lie on.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

sorry.... =[

sorry for your loss. When i lost Mopsys sister Flopsy ,Mopsy went a little sad aswell and didn't touch her food =[ I was really worried and took her to the vets to see if he could do something. He said to persevere and give her her favourite food to start eating again. This worked but she is still a little shy. Her personality totally changed when Flopsy died because Mopsy used to be the grumpy one while Flopsy the kind and shy one however now Mopsy is so sweet - she is shy but is so kind and the other day she licked my finger twice x =] x
What I am saying is your bunny must be pretty traumatised by having his friend die so over time he may turn around and start being his normal self again x I find normally that treats and veg normally bring them round to trust you again x hope this helps x

So sorry to hear this news. You must be devastated.
Bobby has lost two wives so far, and each time he has become very subdued. He's eaten, but basically just slept the rest fo the time. Now, every bunny is different, but Bobby loves company (and a wifey bun to fuss over!) so within a week each time, he had a new friend. It was pretty hard for us, because we were still grieveing over the bunnies, but the best thing for Bobby.
Hope things work out for Misty

really sorry to hear your sad news.

We recently lost our Giant bun very suddenly, she was fine in the morning and had to be PTS by the afternoon. We brought her in the house and brought in her husbun to be with her as I have read this can be good for sick buns. I'm glad he got to see her again but he found it upsetting so we put him away (in th end one of our cats snuggled up to her-the one who usually teased her!)

Anyway my point is that if Misty was with your sick bun its no wonder shes upset. Edgar was exactly like this, off his food, not playful etc. It has taken quite a while for him to get over it but with patience and LOTs of attention he came round. We just got a new bun and he has really perked up (although hasn't quite made up his mind whether he likes her or not!)

Stick with it, I'm sure she'll come round and in the meantime you have someone to give cuddles to who misses your bun as much as you do. X:)

Thanks everyone!

Misty is a bit more herself today. She still won't come out of the hutch but is eating at least.

We got Boofy to be her Husbun a year ago from a rescue shelter. She fell in love with him and her antisocial behavior ceased. She really needs a mate but we are planning to wait a while - to check that Misty is not going to get sick and also to give our daughter a chance to grieve for Boofy. Boofy liked her better than the rest of us.

I still can't believe that he went down hill so quickly. I keep thinking that I would have taken him to the vet earlier if I had been home and he would have been fine.

It really upset when my husband phoned to say that Boofy had died. But really hurt and angry that two of my work collegues LAUGHED. They couldn't understand how I could be attached to a bunny.

Sorry to hear your bunny's died and I hope your remaining bun gets over it soon - it does sound like she needs a new partner asap once she seems to be grieving less

that's so sad, I'm really sorry for your and Misty's loss :cry:
You need to spend time gently talking to her and stroking her - rebuild your bond so that she is still getting the social interaction that she needs...

Back