• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance

Pringle

Warren Veteran
Does anyone have rabbit insurance?

I was thinking about getting it but i dont think it covers much does it?.. For example Teeth?... i understand i would have to pay the first sum of money but would i be able to claim back money off insurance for Pringle getting his teeth done? or can anyone explain what it covers? ta x

I am with petplan for my bun and cat. I am not entirely sure what it covers, but I know its a godsend. My cat needed an op last year and came to over £300 and insurance paid £240 - £60 excess
I wouldn't be without insurance as things get so expensive. I would rather pay the £9 a month than fork out huge amounts.
If you do go for petplan make sure you ask when you call about the internet offers. I tried doing my bunny online but it wouldn't let me, so called and they offered one month free, but the net said 2 months free so asked and she put that on instead.
I will have a look at my policy later and let you know if teeth are covered.

Teeth aren't covered by Petplan. I have claimed for stasis that has occured from Evo having bad teeth in the past though.

Thanks.
Well i have insurance for my two dogs, its just the rabbit. But i didnt think the teeth would be covered as it is on-going so wouldnt think they would keep paying every couple of months or so?

Oh, if it is already a problem, they won't cover it. It has to be a new illness. If for example you took it out and he was healthy then 2 months down the line he had problems, then you probably could claim, but looks like teeth aren't covered. sorry

I have both my two covered with petplan. i have found it to be an absolute godsend in the past as well. One of my buns before had severe stasis and we ended up with a £600 vets bill, had it not been for the insurance don't know what i would have done..:cry:

I have both my two covered with petplan. i have found it to be an absolute godsend in the past as well. One of my buns before had severe stasis and we ended up with a £600 vets bill, had it not been for the insurance don't know what i would have done..:cry:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ok i might go for it just for any other problems that may occur :shock: :shock: :shock: .....

What happens with 3 rabbits...would i have to take 3 different insurance out?

You get a discount for more pets. Like I said I have a cat and a bun and got a small discount but she told me that the more of the same animal the bigger the discount. It will be three separate insurances though.

yes, toadflaxbex is right, when i had 3 buns Petplan do give a discount, albeit only a small one! I know everyone on here has very different ideas but I do think if you can afford to, and haven't got loads like Jack's Jane !! having insurance can be well worth it.. Although, do beware, last year Bertie had some treatment for a bite on his back and because his treatments went over 2 policy years I had to pay 2 lots of excess..:censored:

yes, toadflaxbex is right, when i had 3 buns Petplan do give a discount, albeit only a small one! I know everyone on here has very different ideas but I do think if you can afford to, and haven't got loads like Jack's Jane !! having insurance can be well worth it.. Although, do beware, last year Bertie had some treatment for a bite on his back and because his treatments went over 2 policy years I had to pay 2 lots of excess..:censored:

:shock: :shock: well im not to sure whether to do it or not yet. I am starting to pay £20 into my vet account every week for when Pringle needs his teeth done, or anything else at least i will have some money there already paid. But the two new buns i got in both seem to have a bit of a wet chin especially one of them so starting to worry they have the same problem and are going to need their teeth done regularly to. I am going to take them to vet for check up and i will ask vet about insurance and what they would recomend. Pringle has vet for check up tonight so will ask then.
My vet was really good with my dog as he used to have problems with his "man part":lol: and needed call outs etc, we spent so much on him then when he got castrated it stopped. but the vet was really good with insurance and added a little more on so insurance were paying a bit more as well. So i shall question about insurance tonight.

Check the excess on the plan too - they tend to be quite high - about £50 and most of my rabbit treatments have been either around this or just above, either way not justifying paying the premium and the excess. I have a bunny fund I pay into each month for teeth and vax's etc and that way I know where I stand.

When ever there's a thread about insurance on here, people always say 'teeth aren't covered' and it's not necessarily true.

I spoke to Petplan about this and basically if a vet has said the rabbit needs teeth burring etc then its covered. But if your bun has known teeth probs before you take out the insurance, your not covered.

Just to add, I did have insurance for my 6 for a while but I was paying £48 a month, so I cancelled it and save that money each month instead.

Nicola

I have my two bunnies covered with Petplan Insurance. This year one of them had GI stasis and also the vet burred his teeth.

Petplan paid out £273.00 for his GI problem, this was after the £45 excess was taken out, and they paid £35.02 towards the teeth, they again took £45 excess for this as well. They are crafty though because they took an excess off for each condition, even though they were connected and done at the same time.

Attached to their payment was this note:

"Your pet insurance does not cover the cost of trimming teeth. We have included the cost in your claim settlement because the treatment is connected to the diagnosis. Although we have paid this cost on this claim we will not be able to help you for any future claims for trimming your rabbit's teeth"..

Its like any insurance you have to weigh up the benefits of it, I would prefer to have insurance for peace of mind, but if you have a lot of animals it is probably best to put the money to one side for vet bills.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Carole

Last edited:
i had a quote for gizmo from petplan £9.21 per month excess £50 i think its well worth it i plan to process the quote, we do pet insurance at my work but not rabbit insurance so no staff discount :cry: but even my colleagues recommend pet plan so now that gizmo is registered at the vet i will definately be taking the policy out, they have an offer on at the moment 10 months for the price of 12, see www.petplan.co.uk you can get an on line quote 100 pound is quite pricey for insurance but the way i see it 100 is nothing compared to the vet bills that may occur through illness, hope this helps :wave:

I've just got Poppy and Oscar insured with Petplan. I did them seperately to get 2 months free on each.. that was a better deal than their 'multi-pet' discount which they said was a one off £3.. so I was told! I pay £8.41 per bun, per month with £45 XS on each..

I was impressed with my my free 'collar tag' gift!! What on earth will my buns make of that!!! :lol:

Hmm I think I might insure Charlie after reading that! I came across another insurance plan that covered all the same things as petplan except advertising if you lost your pet-not much danger of that where I live! It was a lot cheaper, I'll search for it sometime soon and let you know who the provider was.

Thanks eveyrone. im not sure if just giving the vet money every week is better than an insurance company... as i dont want to pay an insurance company the money then wish i had just put it aside for a bill that needed paying E.G teeth.
Ill speak to my vet tonight and see what they say about it thanks everyone xx

Back